Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Gas Gauge project

Hey friends!

I'm about to buy my Suzuki back from a friend (1983 Suzuki GS850G) and the gauges have crapped out on me. Mainly the speedometer is busted, so I've been looking at replacing it with a new one, but want to get a tach to match the size. In doing so, i'd be losing my gas gauge.

My question is for anyone who knows about LED wiring, and if it'd be possible to wire a 5-6 step LED array to display at different voltage levels. If I remember correctly, the gas gauge sends across a range of milivolts, which is how it shows the fuel level.

I imagine wiring the neutral light, oil pressure light, kick stand light, and high beam light would be pretty straight forward, just replacing the bulb for each with a color appropriate LED.

Not easily, you would need 6 different exact resistors to do that properly....

If you want to go that route you need to know the exact cutoff voltage of the led, the current draw of the led etc....

If you want to learn about electronics you can do this with an arduino board and some programming/measuring... i would look in to seeing if there is a product that is already made for what you want to do

Comment

Arduino Fuel Gauge: A few months ago, I hit a pot-hole while driving my 1974 Dodge Dart and my fuel gauge immediately went to "E." For a split second I
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

cool project, but a lotta work for a gas gauge....use the reserve lever?
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I own a gs550 t and I am going to put a fuel gauge on it. I plan to use a gs650 tank that has a fuel sending unit on it. Then use an arduino micro-controller to measure the voltage and display it on an OLCD screen.

Comment

Wow, thats pretty awesome. Seems like a much easier route than trying to do it all by hand, lol.

I will definitely keep ya'll informed on how it goes, and hopefully I'll come out on the other side with something cool!

Comment

Working...
            X