Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth ring

Hello again font of all knowledge GS,

On the wiring loom there are a number of earth rings, where do they go? As I cannot see a area where they bolt to the frame, or do they all go to the negative side of the battery?

Thanks again

Little Wagon

Originally posted by little wagon View Post
    Hello again font of all knowledge GS,

On the wiring loom there are a number of earth rings, where do they go? As I cannot see a area where they bolt to the frame, or do they all go to the negative side of the battery?

Thanks again

Little Wagon
    On the frame, just below and in front of the swing arm mount theres a bolt for these. Make sure you file off the paint first and sandpaper the coonectors first.

Comment

You might like to read up on an idea called single point grounding SPG. Originally the ring earth terminals and the r/r earth attached to the frame at different places. This can end up with the charging system not being quite sure what or where the lowest potential is in the system and currents not knowing whether they are coming or going.
      On my bike the two harness earth rings, the r/r earth wire and a wire to the battery negative post are joined together at one of the starter relay mounting studs. The r/r has a clearer view of what is going on.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thank you for the reply I will have a look over the weekend and shall look into SPG and see what I can do

Little Wagon

Comment

With the single point grounding could you drill a hole in the frame and put in a rivnut in a location that suits where the earth ring are

Thanks

Little Wagon

Comment

LW,

One place that really needs to be grounded is the battery box where the starter solenoid is mounted.
            THe starter solenoid is bolted to the battery box.
            THe starter solenoid does not have a ground wire, it is grounded thru its mounting.
            But the battery box might not be well mounted to the frame, hence why there needs to be ground wire to the battery box, typically on of the solenoid mounting bolts. THis is also where the R/R ground wire is connected also.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X