'82 GS850GL | New Turn Signal Switch, Now Turn Signal Don't Blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS850GL | New Turn Signal Switch, Now Turn Signal Don't Blink

Hello everyone, Apologies if this has already been posted, I'm new to the forum. I recently got myself a 1982 GS850GL. The horn button and starter button were both completely broken. I was able to mold myself a new starter button and assemble it with some other random parts, like jean rivets, (if anyone is interested in this, I'd be happy to make a post about it) but when trying to open up the left switch I broke off the turn signal switch itself.

I got a new switch (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Blink...tch+motorcycle) got the horn and headlight wired up without a problem. But the original harness for the left switch had three extra wires. I narrowed down that some of them were grounds and I connected them to locations that seemed appropriate. The problem I have now is that the turn signals light up when the switch is set to the corresponding position. But they don't blink.

I can hear the turn signal relay making the clicking sounds, but it might be that it's just trying to get a better connection (I'm just wrapping the wires around others to test things out). I'm thinking that maybe the amperage or voltage is too strong, or too weak on the new switch to allow the blinker to engage properly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

When I have more time I can draw up a diagram of how I have it set up. Thanks!

Blinkers typically rely on current to blink. If there isn't enough they don't. You may have a high resistance somewhere. The switch would be a good starting point as both sides are affected.
    Switching to low current led lamps can do it as well. The earth lugs on all four tend to deteriorate together and would be worth a clean up.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

"The problem I have now is that the turn signals light up when the switch is set to the corresponding position. But they don't blink. "

Probably just low system voltage- there is a lot of voltage drop going thru harness before it reaches signals. The stock flasher needs a minimum current to twinkle. Bulbs have to be23 watt or they won't pull enough current. With bike not running, bulbs probably don't see enough. Try hooking up a battery charger and see if this raises the voltage.
      This is the time to check your charging system..... Start with this Quick Test

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your bike has self-cancelling turn signals, which require some non-standard wiring. That switch is rather generic and does not provide those special connections. While the low price of your switch was certainly attractive, a proper switch is even more so.

Comment

You're right, I didn't realize that before because it never worked properly. Do you think it's possible to install a different turn signal control unit that has those fewer connections? I think at this point that might be the more economical way to go as I don't mind not having self-cancelling turn signals and this low cost switch is surprisingly decent in terms of build quality. Thanks for the pointers!

Comment

Another pointer?

When you ask a question, don't run off. You had three responses within 8 hours and a few minutes, but took two days to come back to read them.

This is one of the quicker-moving forums on the interwebs.

Comment

Admittedly, I'm a bit new to forum etiquette. But I would have assumed a community of GS riders to be accepting of people with jobs, family responsibilities, etc. But if this is for full-time forum users, I'll take my business elsewhere. Thanks.

Comment

No, it's not for full-time users, it's just that we move a bit quicker than most forums.

I am a member on a few other forums. On one, I asked a question about a problem I was having (it was dealing with the forum's specialty topic). It took a full seven days to get a single reply. In a month, I think there were a total of three replies, the third one fixed my problem. If I had the luxury of waiting for a month to fix a somewhat urgent problem, that's OK, but come on.

Around here, I have seen some issues get addressed by a dozen or so replies within the first hour. Sometimes, if it's a hot topic, there will be 30 or 40 replies in the first day.

Not chasing you off, just letting you know that you can check back a lot sooner for an answer.
                I ride many bikes.
                Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Working...
                X