78 GS1000E Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000E Upgrades

Hey guys, I'm finally starting to do some work on my bike. I have a few questions, any responses are greatly appreciated. The biggest upgrades that I would like to do are to the electrical system. I want to completely rewire the bike and upgrade anything that is possible (Coils, plugs, wires, ignition, stator, fuse box, etc) Any suggestions on what upgrades I should go with or available out there and sources for the parts would be helpful. 2nd thing that I would like to do is convert my turn signals and brake lights to LEDs. I would however like to keep the stock look to the bike, so is there any inserts for the signals and lights or does anyone know of any place that I can send my stuff to have them fitted with an LED setup? Thanks in advance for any input.

Do a search, you have a lot of reading to do. You can use google to search the Gsr as well.
    you can even search my signature .

Comment

I am also in the process of upgrading my electrics on my 79 1000e. However my motorcycle doesn't need a complete rewire just a update. I'm putting in a Dyna S ignition pickup and Dyna coils and plug wires. I purchased them from Z-1 Enterprise all for $288.90 to my door. About the lowest price I could find. The charging system: I purchased the stator from Electro Sport.$135 Don't buy there regulator/rectifier. Get the Polaris SH775 I purchased that from Bike Bandit. $75 A happy motorcycle is a motorcycle with a healthy electrical system.
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Do a search, you have a lot of reading to do. You can use google to search the Gsr as well.
        you can even search my signature .
        I've been doing a lot of research. Your SSPB looks amazing, Do you have any on stock or when will you have more?

For coils what's the difference going with 2.2 ohm vs 3 ohm?

Comment

Originally posted by traviseckley View Post
          I've been doing a lot of research. Your SSPB looks amazing, Do you have any on stock or when will you have more?

For coils what's the difference going with 2.2 ohm vs 3 ohm?
          The 2.2 requires and ignitor that can handle teh extra current liek a Dyna 2000. Otherwise just stick with 3.0.

I plan being able to ship more SSPB in the next couple of months.

Comment

I haven't gotten around to installing my SSPB yet, but I'm all about upgrading the '78 GS1000. I'm planning to re-clean the harness, install weatherproof plugs in place of the stock harness plugs, install the SSPB when I find a place it will fit, replace boot O-Rings and possibly boots, supporting the carburetor hanging weight this time, Possibly rebuild the carburetors again, check the valves, re-polish the forks and side covers---a lot of work before spring riding but it's been about a few years since I have gone through it.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              I haven't gotten around to installing my SSPB yet, but I'm all about upgrading the '78 GS1000. I'm planning to re-clean the harness, install weatherproof plugs in place of the stock harness plugs, install the SSPB when I find a place it will fit, replace boot O-Rings and possibly boots, supporting the carburetor hanging weight this time, Possibly rebuild the carburetors again, check the valves, re-polish the forks and side covers---a lot of work before spring riding but it's been about a few years since I have gone through it.
              That about sums up what I have planned, plus new ignition, coils and I need to rebuild my rear caliper and get a new rotor and rear wheel bearings after an incident last summer. Then next winter I plan to start a full rebuild. Just trying to gather parts now and do all the research ahead of time of what I would like to do.

Comment

Working...
              X