timing 1-4 points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing 1-4 points

Hello to all. I am new to this forum & posted this question in the tuning section yesterday. I think this is a better place to post my questions. I am helping my son set up the points on his newly acquired 78 750E & things aren't going as the shop manual says it should. Let me begin by saying the bike starts right up but it isn't idling very smooth. I set the point gaps as per specified .014. When I crank the engine over to get the 1-4 "F" mark in the sight window the points should be just starting to open (according to the service manual). They are open no matter where I adjust the points plate. When I check with the timing light the 1-4"F" mark is not near the sight window. When I check the 2-3"F" mark with the light it is in time. What could be wrong? I thought it might be as simple as the points cam 180 degrees out of time but it doesn't work out that way either....in fact it doesn't even start. So we set the point cam back to where it was when we started. I see there is a ND & KD points set up. The manual only shows the ND. Is it possible the wrong set up is in this bike? Maybe the wrong backing plate? Any help would be appreciated.

What happened to your other thread?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You likely have the ND points setup.... Does your condenser setup look like this?

read this
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What happened to your other thread?
        Nothing...I said I thought this might be a better place for this question.

Comment

You likely have the ND points setup.... Does your condenser setup look like this?
          Yes, that is whats in there...but I don't know if that is correct. Thanks, I know all that. Like I said in bold in my original post here...no matter where I set the points plate in it's slots the points are full open...not just starting to open like they are supposed to be. That's my dilemma. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

So 2 and 3 points open normally, but 1 and 4 appear always open? Do the points look alike? Does your setup look like this?
            Attached Files
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom, thanks for the reply. That is the points set up I am working with. The points open & close just fine but I am having trouble setting the timing. In the manual it says to time the 1-4 points: turn the engine over until 1-4"F" mark is lined up with the fixed timing mark in the sight window. Then it says to turn the points plate until the 1-4 points are "just starting to open". Then use a timing light to get it perfect. When I set the 1-4"F" mark to the fixed timing mark in the sight window I can not get the points to a point where they are just starting to open. Using all the adjustment in the slotted points plate the 1-4 points remain open (when the 1-4"F" mark is lined up). 2-3 points are fine. I understand once I get 1-4 points set up I will have to readjust the 2-3 points to get them back in time. As things are now using the timing light the 1-4 "F" mark is nowhere near the sight window yet 2-3 points set up just like it's suppose to........Wierd Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time aftermarket points haven't been very well made and don't fit right. Also, I recall having to slot backplates to get sufficient movement on them, because of badly made parts.
                Electronic ignition was the greatest thing since sliced ham, as you are probably aware.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Grimly. I already slotted the points plate to get more adjustment but it is clear to me that is not the answer to my problem. Not sure whats going on. I need to spend more time with it when it gets a little warmer out.

Comment

Just a wild guess here, but where was the points cam when you set the gap?

I'm guessing it was at the wrong point, otherwise the points would close
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

where was the points cam when you set the gap?
                      They were in the open position. They do close when they are on the low side of the cam.

Comment

You shouldn't have to enlarge the slot on the points plate

Post up a picture of what you have going on there

I'm assuming you are replacing the old points?
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Just an update: We replaced the contact points & things set up nicely. All is well now. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure this is not the last issue I'll need help with.

Comment

Working...
                          X