Wiring restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring restoration

After the top end rebuild (which was successful in no small part due to the threads on GS Resources!) on my 1980 GS850L, I'm trying to work out the bugs electrically with this bike. I would like to be thorough, but I'm wondering if I can still buy a new wiring harness for the old bird? I'm not opposed to just cleaning all connections throughout, but I'm thinking that, due to age, alot of the connectors won't survive the process and I'll just end up replacing them anyway. Any thoughts on what my best option is?

The above link has tutorials for cleaning and upgrading the harness. For starters I would clean the kill switch, ignition switch, fusebox and supply plugs to the coils. These four 'horsemen' alone will sort a lot of issues. You are correct in seeing the connections as the problem. In some cases corrosion may extend a way from a plug and replacement is the only option. Damage to the wires is less common unless a PO has been untidy and allowed chafing to happen. Work your way through the bike checking voltages at the headlight and horns for example. Clean as you go and watch the volts come back.
    I don't recall seeing new oem harnesses. Most I see are used and you would be back in the same boat. I'm about to call time on the left handlebar switch. It's put up a good fight but seen one too many repairs.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Brendan. Looks like I'm going to spend my Sunday on this job!

Comment

Working...
      X