Testing coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing coils

I had to change out my coils last summer due to the fact I wasn't getting any spark. While the ones I switched to were used, it seemed to run ok but I'm still curious if they are putting out what they're supposed to. I tried a friend's off of his 1000 and the bike seemed to have about the same or just a bit more pep. What is a good way to check them to make sure they're putting out correctly? I want to get the most of the bike with my meager budget. If I had $300 to spend I'd just get a dyna s kit but that's not an option at this point.

1977 gs750 ? Include it in your signature as you might have more questions as you tear into this thing. Ignition coils are very durable. You can do a primary and secondary resistance test. See steps 10 and 11 in this link

be warned that spark plug caps get corroded and give you false secondary ohm readings - unscrew caps from plug wires and measure wire to wire
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks. Once I get the bike back together I'll have to test it. The engine is currently pulled but could be back in by the end of the week.

Comment

Why would you need the bike together to test the coils?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I guess technically I wouldn't have to. I just figured it would be easier with everything connected. I'll see what I can do with them today or tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X