Order new r/r from motorcycle superstore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order new r/r from motorcycle superstore

The new r/r I ordered from motorcycle-superstore.com arrived today. The connector on it is completely different than the one on my '85 450L. Should I send back there different unit for a refund or should I chop off their connector and splice it to the wiring from my bike? I've tried contacting their customer service via phone and online chat and both have been a joke. It's kind of sad because I've bought stuff from them off and on over the years.

What brand r/r did you buy? The polaris sh775 series r/r with the triumph wiring harness seems to be the most popular replacement for these old bikes. If I had to replace one on a GS or KZ, that would be the route I would go.

Comment

I had great luck with them cancelling part of an order. In fact, the girl I talked to went out of her way to make sure I got refunded. And that was on a Sunday!

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      What brand r/r did you buy? The polaris sh775 series r/r with the triumph wiring harness seems to be the most popular replacement for these old bikes. If I had to replace one on a GS or KZ, that would be the route I would go.
      Or you can go with these guys and get the kit. A little pricey, but I didn't have time to hunt down all the parts needed.

Last edited by Deuce; 03-10-2016, 07:48 PM.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
        According to Motorcycle-Superstore, it's Ricks Motorsport Electrics. I plugged in the year/model for my bike and this is what came up for an r/r.

Comment

According to Motorcycle-Superstore, it's Ricks Motorsport Electrics.
          Ricks stators are excellent, the r/r's not so much. IMHO, I would return it and get a polaris SH775.

Comment

I can't believe Nessism hasn't responded to this one. According to him, IIRC, he says the Ricks stators are good but their R/R s are pure junk (just paraphrasing here). Good luck but I would see if I could return it if it was up to me.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
              I can't believe Nessism hasn't responded to this one. According to him, IIRC, he says the Ricks stators are good but their R/R s are pure junk (just paraphrasing here). Good luck but I would see if I could return it if it was up to me.
              I don't think Rick's R/R's are junk, they are just a common shunt type R/R that's been marked up in price. The SH775 w/Triumph harness is typically cheaper and much better parts.

To answer the original question: yes, you can chop off the connectors and wire the R/R into your bikes wiring system but I'd return it for the SH775. Regardless of what R/R you choose you should rewire the charging system. The stator wires need to go straight to the R/R, not into the factory harness. This is GS Charging System class 101.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
              X