Yet another 'No Spark'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another 'No Spark'

So I've been through all the other no spark threads and eliminated everything I can but here is how it started:

My bike originally ran fine, over time its been harder to start, sometimes starts, doesn't start and now I'm here. I have been running through the usual processes so I have checked my battery which seems okay voltage wise but I even tried to jump the bike from the car and still nothing. I traced the voltages and there is 12V sat at the input to my coils but no spark.

I ran the coil test, measured 4 OHMs across the primary but infinite resistance on the secondary... I checked and double checked the test method and I'm sure I was doing it correctly. Now this would seem that the coil has gone BUT I had the same result on the other coil... Both coils died at the same time? Not likely.

So that's where I'm at. It's taken a lot of time up sorting this so hopefully there is something fundamental I am missing that you guys will tell me at a drop of a hat

I don't want to splash £40+ for something that seems like a coincidence.

Cheers!

What bike is this? My mind reading skills went out years ago. Your coils are probbly fine
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

are the coils stock? if so, then your caps probably gave up the ghost. were the tests ran with the plug caps on or plug caps removed?

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        What bike is this? My mind reading skills went out years ago. Your coils are probbly fine
        550E 1980

and are you saying all four caps have gone? That seems odd as well

Comment

Stranger things have happened, so testing your coils with the caps off and about 1/4" or 6mm trimmed off of the end of the wire to get to the fresher stuff would be in order. An infinite ohm reading is telling me that there's a problem either with the caps or the coils, so why not try without the caps and wires trimmed back 6mm? It could also be your resistor elements in the caps are corroded

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
            Stranger things have happened, so testing your coils with the caps off and about 1/4" or 6mm trimmed off of the end of the wire to get to the fresher stuff would be in order. An infinite ohm reading is telling me that there's a problem either with the caps or the coils, so why not try without the caps and wires trimmed back 6mm? It could also be your resistor elements in the caps are corroded
            I got a reading... Was doing it wrong.

So ive done continuity checks on all my earths, cable going to coils.

Turns out someone changed the points for a Boyer ignition system. Continuity from coils to module is fine, from stator to module is fine. Module is grounded.

Stator looks brand new and spins up when I turn it over.

Anything I'm missing or can also test?

I'm losing sleep over this, no joke

Comment

An reading of "infinite" means there's no connection between the two parts. I think that's why folks suggested there might be a problem with the caps.

I removed the NGK caps that came with my bike. The wire ends looked toasted and crispy. I trimmed the ends and the newly exposed wire looked much better (cleaner). I haven't rechecked resistance but I'll bet it went way down.
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I would look up the troubleshooting guide for your ignition system. sounds like the electronics for your boyer system might have gone out. and a gradual difficulty to start and no spark sounds like faulty electronics at the ignition cover.

Comment

Working...
                X