Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

custom-ish wiring leads to spectacular nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom-ish wiring leads to spectacular nothing.

I've made some modifications to an '83 GS850 by moving all of the components and the battery from under the seat to behind the seat in a custom fiberglass seat pan. I haven't replaced anything other than wires and a connectors. In all, I changed the location of the Fuse box, Starter relay, Ignitor(CDI), R/R, Turn signal relay, and turn signal control unit. My thought was that at least in theory, if all I did was move these things and extend the wiring from the OEM harness I should be fine. In theory... I didn't get crazy with the wiring, only extending, with like colored wires, the harness to the components. I crimped and shrink wrapped my connections. I used Weatherpack connectors where needed. I have both the shop manual for this bike and a wiring diagram I nabbed from the esteemed BassCliff's website. Both of which I have stared at until cross-eyed. I did tons of reading here and elsewhere before chopping up my perfectly good wiring harness. Here's where things go sideways, sort of. On a fully charged battery (as in, just ran it on the battery tender last night) I get nothing. Nada. Turn the key and zilch. No lights, no click from the starter, nothing. Fuses checked and all good. I used my multimeter on it. Grounds seem good. Chasis and main ground wire showing 12.9 volts. Starter relay positive to switch, 12.9 volts. I opened up the headlight bucket and checked the ground wire there, 12.9 volts. I just don't know. I don't have the experience with this sort of thing to know where else to explore so I am hoping crowd sourcing some advice will net me something useful. I await your questions.

Originally posted by nerdbucket View Post
    I've made some modifications to an '83 GS850 by moving all of the components and the battery from under the seat to behind the seat in a custom fiberglass seat pan. I haven't replaced anything other than wires and a connectors. In all, I changed the location of the Fuse box, Starter relay, Ignitor(CDI), R/R, Turn signal relay, and turn signal control unit. My thought was that at least in theory, if all I did was move these things and extend the wiring from the OEM harness I should be fine. In theory... I didn't get crazy with the wiring, only extending, with like colored wires, the harness to the components. I crimped and shrink wrapped my connections. I used Weatherpack connectors where needed. I have both the shop manual for this bike and a wiring diagram I nabbed from the esteemed BassCliff's website. Both of which I have stared at until cross-eyed. I did tons of reading here and elsewhere before chopping up my perfectly good wiring harness. Here's where things go sideways, sort of. On a fully charged battery (as in, just ran it on the battery tender last night) I get nothing. Nada. Turn the key and zilch. No lights, no click from the starter, nothing. Fuses checked and all good. I used my multimeter on it. Grounds seem good. Chasis and main ground wire showing 12.9 volts. Starter relay positive to switch, 12.9 volts. I opened up the headlight bucket and checked the ground wire there, 12.9 volts. I just don't know. I don't have the experience with this sort of thing to know where else to explore so I am hoping crowd sourcing some advice will net me something useful. I await your questions.

A fishing expedition?

Comment

If it an't broke...

Try jumpering the key switch's loom side connectors to see if you get lights. If you do, either you switch was bad or (more likely) you miss wired it. If that isn't it, you're screwed. Either take it off the bike, unwrap it, and start tracing wire by wire from connector pin to connector pin (not just wire color) until you find your mistake, or buy a new wire harness and figure a way to get them all under the seat.

Oh, and it might not even be your fault. While you were hacking and splicing, a wire might have broken somewhere (it is old). In that case, see above.

Comment

posplayr: I feel it must be done. Just a matter of building up the proper motivation.

Jameswhut?: I like the idea of jumping those connections. Definitely going to try that.

Thanks for the advice, in either case I won't have until Tuesday to really jump into it.

Random question: Does the orientation of the starter relay matter? Originally the posts were horizontal but are now vertical. Does this matter?

Comment

Why would you be getting voltage on ground wires?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Random question: Does the orientation of the starter relay matter? Originally the posts were horizontal but are now vertical. Does this matter?
            Orientation is not important unless you are talking about red and black orientation. Don't connect the starter solenoid to ground; it has been done before

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
              Why would you be getting voltage on ground wires?
              Running the red probe of the multimeter from the positive lead on the battery to grounded wires/points on the chassis with the black probe.

Comment

Running the red probe of the multimeter from the positive lead on the battery to grounded wires/points on the chassis with the black probe.
                That is like saying "the world is upside" without disclosing you are standing on your head

Comment

That only shows that you have voltage at the battery and your ground wire is grounded.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                  1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    That is like saying "the world is upside" without disclosing you are standing on your head
                    Clear as mud? I try to be specific on internet forums but it doesn't always work out that way.

Comment

Clear as mud? I try to be specific on internet forums but it doesn't always work out that way.
                      I know it takes some effort and most people don't really try too much.

Comment

It certainly sounds like you are missing your switched power from the ignition switch to the fuse box. That should be easy enough to trace using the diagrams you have if they match your bike's harness color code. One question, what brand of crimp tool did you use? The proper tool is everything in this type of work.
                        Last edited by OldVet66; 04-09-2016, 03:53 AM.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I dunno, your opening statement was hard to read because you have no paragraph breaks, just a run on block of sentences.
                          Plus a lot of implied details that we have to guess about.
                          You did say you crimped all your connectors, I would have soldered them.
                          I would have used colored wires as close to matching the OEM.
                          I would have gone over and checked the OEM harness before moding anything.
                          Now you're gonna have to go through all of it, after the fact, one wire at a time.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            I dunno, your opening statement was hard to read because you have no paragraph breaks, just a run on block of sentences. Plus a lot of implied details that we have to guess about. You did say you crimped all your connectors, I would have soldered them. I would have used colored wires as close to matching the OEM. I would have gone over and checked the OEM harness before moding anything. Now you're gonna have to go through all of it, after the fact, one wire at a time.
                            Sorry for the giant block of text. I had it typed out all nice and pretty but then when it posted all formatting was gone. Must be a setting for that somewhere. Anyhow, I actually bought an OEM harness off of a member here. It does help to have like colored wires. But I'm replying to post an update. I used the wiring diagram to hone in on the problem areas using what I knew didn't work. I just treated it like a logic question and with that was able to find one of the gremlins. It was a section of red wire just out of the fuse box. Confused the heck out of me when I first isolated it because the two connectors to either end of that segment were solid. I replaced that sections and now I have lights. The starter switch doesn't work and the flashers won't flash but it's progress.

Comment

Sorry for the giant block of text. I had it typed out all nice and pretty but then when it posted all formatting was gone. Must be a setting for that somewhere. Anyhow, I actually bought an OEM harness off of a member here. It does help to have like colored wires. But I'm replying to post an update. I used the wiring diagram to hone in on the problem areas using what I knew didn't work. I just treated it like a logic question and with that was able to find one of the gremlins. It was a section of red wire just out of the fuse box. Confused the heck out of me when I first isolated it because the two connectors to either end of that segment were solid. I replaced that sections and now I have lights. The starter switch doesn't work and the flashers won't flash but it's progress.
                              Very good, "the forum helps those that help themselves......................."

Comment

Working...
                              X