GS750E 1983 charging issue/question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E 1983 charging issue/question

I just picked up a 1983 GS750E last night. Since the charging system is known to be faulty, I did a quick check on the battery voltage at 5000 rpm. Only got 11.75 volts. So I am assuming it is either a stator or RR problem or both. Because these bikes are known to have problems with both, am I better off just replacing both of them?

Thanks in advanced for the advice.

Hard to tell from the way you did the test. There are 6 numbers not one.

Comment

Do this Quick Test and report all 6 results for clues. Don't just throw new parts at it- the connections on these bikes deteriorate.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Do this Quick Test and report all 6 results for clues. Don't just throw new parts at it- the connections on these bikes deteriorate.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192
        Quick Test Steps:

1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts 12.9

2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts 12.3

3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts 12.3

4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts 12.3

5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts 12.5

6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v) 12.6

I was waiting for the battery to recharge before doing this test.

Comment

Looks like your battery is fine. Your numbers were so low before because the battery was probably dead.

You stator is probably fired and if it is it is because of the shunt R/R on your bike.

So you can change the stator and fry it again or change to a SERIES R/R and eliminate that problem in the future.

Comment

Should I change both?

Comment

Wouldn't hurt so you don't burn up the next one you buy and fix the charging issue at the same time
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

For the r/r, you want a SH-775 (series unit): find a Polaris Atv dealer and ask for p/n 4012941. Online you might get one delivered for about $80: a local dealer might match that price if he's hungry- he's just going to order it from warehouse.

lots of stators to choose from. $50 to $110 new all likely wound in China. Here's a deal, that might work for you

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by GSoholic View Post
                  Should I change both?
                  If money isn't an issue I would, start fresh with new components and clean all your electrical connections, replace any burnt or badly corroded ones as well. These bikes are really picky about that. This what I did with my bike nearly 8 years ago and have not had a problem since.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

You should probably confirm the stator is bad by doing the Revised Phase B tests especially leg to ground tests at 5K RPM. That should confirm that the stator is imbalanced or not up to spec and you should open that cover to confirm it is burned.

Comment

Working...
                    X