Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning terminals. Does this look right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning terminals. Does this look right?

I removed the cables from the starter solenoid and battery and cleaned the terminals. Before I reconnect the battery I want to make sure this is the correct terminal for the negative (red) cable?
    Does this look right?20160505_170841_HDR.jpg
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Those poor contacts are bare naked, and considering the rust and tinges of green the environment is not particularly dry. Why not spray something on them (like Deoxit of equivalent) just to protect them a little.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Those poor contacts are bare naked, and considering the rust and tinges of green the environment is not particularly dry. Why not spray something on them (like Deoxit of equivalent) just to protect them a little.
      I agree. They're just waiting for a coat of dielectric grease.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

The two big terminals are actually interchangeable do it more to do with just how the wires run. I assume the one sigh the black cover is battery.
        you might look at the manual to see how the show the wires running if that is important .

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
          Before I reconnect the battery I want to make sure this is the correct terminal for the negative (red) cable?
          The red cable is aftermarket and it is NOT a "negative" cable.

One of the two large cables on the solenoid is connected directly to the battery. The other cable goes directly to the starter. When you push the starter button, a mechanism inside the solenoid connects the two cables so your starter gets power.

The little (yellow/green) wire is the 'trigger' wire that comes from the stater button. The case of the solenoid is grounded through its case to the plate it's mounted on. There is no "negative" wire.

Comment

Ok, I have no "spark" when I short between the 2 solenoid terminals but have 12.4 volts when I hook up a wire to the terminal that runs to the starter, use my volt meter and press the button. How is this possible? Also if I power my starter directly from the terminal on the starter, it turns over very slowly. The battery is brand new too.
            Starter maybe? or starter clutch?

Comment

You having no spark is irrelevant to the starter. The starter does nothing except crank the engine over. No spark is an ignition problem. You should find 12 volts at the coils with the switch on. If not, you can crank it over as much as you like and it's not going to start.

Comment

Exactly what do you mean by "I have no spark"? Are you talking about ignition spark or are you expecting to see a spark when you cross those two terminals?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                X