What this? Doesnt look factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What this? Doesnt look factory

I recerntly started going through the wiring on my 82 GSX400T (canadian). When I got the bike there was a blue wire on the starter side of the solenoid, and it was soldered/taped the the orange/white wire of the coil. It doesnt spark (while cranking atleast) without it hooked up. Is it factory or something that somebody added?

Not factory.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Someone defiantly tapped into the wire. Lousy solder job to boot.

In the past I have used posi-taps, work very well.

Comment

So that's the hot wire for the coil, I think it's controlled by the start button. Now why would they need that for the starter solenoid? Are you saying the bike won't start without the blue wire hooked up?
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Could have been a wire for an auxiliary tachometer?

Comment

Probably jumpering over a bad coil wire. The starter positive terminal stays hot while the switch is in the run position.

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
            Someone defiantly tapped into the wire. Lousy solder job to boot.
            At least it wasn't just a wire nut screwed half on...
            Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

OK so the blue wire in question runs from that lousy solder job, and goes to the starter solenoid on the starter motor side with a ring terminal. When disconnected from the solenoid, I still have power at the orange/white wire at each coil. BUT when disconnected there is no spark while cranking. The bike doesnt run so I cant say whether or not the bike will run with this wire disconnected (going through carbs this week).

The wiring was a mess, when I started nothing would happen off the start button, and I found the 6 pin connector from the right handlebar control unplugged, as well as the solenoid trigger wire. the main bike harness was plugged into a different 6 pin connector that appeared to go to the gauge cluster? maybe it went somewhere else, but once the right handlebar control was plugged back into the main bike harness it worked off the switch but that other 6 pin connector didnt have a receptical.

Maybe theres a chunk of harness missing, and because of that there isnt any power to the coils while the starter is engaged, and that blue wire is a cheap solution? Far fetched Im sure but I dont understand why its like that otherwise.

Comment

<clickme bigger?

I think the area in question should be like this....note that the Orange/White goes to RUN switch AND starter button. as original, you need switch to Run or starter button won't spin, the orange wire being the + supply to both..Maybe the PO didn't get this-so maybe the RUN switch is broken, disabled, rewired.....because as original, the coils have power whenever the RUN switch is on, whatever the starter is doing... by the way, originally, the starter button wires went through a switch at clutch too and possibly even a kickstand switch...I'm not sure about 82s, I've only a rusty parts bike that year.
                You better get into your wiring diagram.

You can see a blue wire on the edge...as original it goes to Neutral indicator light, so I think the PO just happened to find a chunk of blue wire around somewhere...
                ...the purple bordered note is irrelevant to the problem.
                Hopefully this is all the PO did...
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-09-2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]45474[/ATTACH]<clickme bigger?

I think the area in question should be like this....note that the Orange/White goes to RUN switch AND starter button. as original, you need switch to Run or starter button won't spin, the orange wire being the + supply to both..Maybe the PO didn't get this-so maybe the RUN switch is broken, disabled, rewired.....because as original, the coils have power whenever the RUN switch is on, whatever the starter is doing... by the way, originally, the starter button wires went through a switch at clutch too and possibly even a kickstand switch...I'm not sure about 82s, I've only a rusty parts bike that year.
                  You better get into your wiring diagram.

You can see a blue wire on the edge...as original it goes to Neutral indicator light, so I think the PO just happened to find a chunk of blue wire around somewhere...
                  ...the purple bordered note is irrelevant to the problem.
                  Hopefully this is all the PO did...
                  As far as wiring goes I believe so, dont ask what he did to what would otherwise be nice original condition fenders....

I have a wiring diagram, and Ive gone through the wiring and all of that exists and works as it should. IGN switch on, run switch in on, I have power at the orange switch at each coil. Leave the blue wire off the solenoid, pull a sparkplug and crank it off the button, and I have no spark. Hook that blue wire back up to the starter motor side of the solenoid and crank it, and now theres spark. Now youd think that, because theres power on the orange and the blue is connected to it, it would power the starter on its own, but it doesnt.

Come to think of it, in that wire theres something underneath some heat shrink. I bet its a diode... I just dont understand why the PO went through all that effort. I wish I was near the bike so I could take pictures or even look at it but its at my dads place.

Regardless the carbs are now gone through, hopefully I can see if it will run either this or next weekend.

Comment

strongly suspect a poorly executed Coil Relay Mod.

Comment

because theres power on the orange and the blue is connected to it, it would power the starter on its own, but it doesnt
                      first, FYI: The difference between "Orange" and "Orange/White stripe" as your picture shows is important..but whatever, the starter is a huge draw of current so if it was wired as original factory, I think it would blow the fuse or melt the wires rather than spin the starter .....but now you tell us
                      Come to think of it, in that wire theres something underneath some heat shrink. I bet its a diode
                      It would have to be a fair-sized diode and it would rob the coils of half a volt too.
                      When you get a better look at it, it'll be clearer.

Comment

Inside your right handlebar switch the power coming off your kill switch loops OUT to the coils on the orange/white and then down to the start button. On my bike, that wire comes out and goes to a yellow/green wire that goes through the clutch interlock and then down to the starter solenoid. I can't imagine it did much good for the starter solenoid to have that wire hot all the time which is what they did here if the blue ran to it. The clutch interlock connects in the headlight shell and can easily be by-passed. I would test the yellow/green wire coming out of the right handlebar switch to where it comes out in the headlight shell and see if it has 12VDC when the start button is pushed. If your clutch interlock is bad (which is probably why the hack was performed), then connect the yellow/green out of the right handlebar switch to the yellow green going to the starter solenoid if the wire still is connect to the starter solenoid. If it isn't, then run a new one and solder it to where the blue wire was likely soldered by another cold solder joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          first, FYI: The difference between "Orange" and "Orange/White stripe" as your picture shows is important..but whatever, the starter is a huge draw of current so if it was wired as original factory, I think it would blow the fuse or melt the wires rather than spin the starter .....but now you tell us
                          It would have to be a fair-sized diode and it would rob the coils of half a volt too.
                          When you get a better look at it, it'll be clearer.
                          Sorry, I did mean to type orange/white, simply saying orange is less typing and Im lazy when it comes to typing. I will have to have a better look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 82GSdave View Post
                            Sorry, I did mean to type orange/white, simply saying orange is less typing and Im lazy when it comes to typing. I will have to have a better look at it.
                            You do realize that's a two-way street?

Now that we know that you are lazy about your descriptions, we might be just as lazy with our suggestions.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              You do realize that's a two-way street?

Now that we know that you are lazy about your descriptions, we might be just as lazy with our suggestions.

My bad, it was the one time but I apologize, wont happen again

Comment

Working...
                              X