H4 headlight conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H4 headlight conversion

Hey! Looking for advice on H4 headlight conversion. The bucket came with a 3 pin male connector. Should I just get the female connector and wire it plug and play style, or do I need a converter of some sort? Cheers!
    1980 GS1100E

Good news for you, your "conversion" is SUPER easy.

Suzuki did it for you back in 1980.

Yep, your bike came from the factory with an H4-type headlight.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, total noob here, hehe.. Perhaps I should say new headlight bucket install Question is more about the wiring, as I can't seem to find a corresponding 3 pin female on the bike. Thanks anyway
      Last edited by radek22; 05-15-2016, 04:11 PM.
      1980 GS1100E

Comment

I was looking in the wrong places, it's directly on the bulb) Sorted!
        1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
          Thanks Steve, total noob here, hehe.. Perhaps I should say new headlight bucket install Question is more about the wiring, as I can't seem to find a corresponding 3 pin female on the bike. Thanks anyway
          In Headlamp bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
            Don't worry about connectors. The connector that came with your bike is all you need. It will simply push into place and you will be live with the new bulb.

If you are driving only in/around the city, then the standard H4 is fine, but if you plan on doing some touring far out of town, where the roads have no lights, then you might consider a plasma bulb.

In that type, look for something that offers light in the 5000 to 6000k range. A lower number/value is yellow and higher is tending more into blue. 5500K is considered equivalent to daylight.
            Halogen is a decided upward step from conventional sealed beam, and plasma is another step upwards.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the input, argonsagas!
              1980 GS1100E

Comment

Not sure where you would find a "plasma" bulb, but I surely do like the LED light on my 850.

No, it's not cheap, by ANY means, but it puts out light almost as good as my GoldWing, and that's pretty darn good.

And it's less draw on the electrical system, too, leaving more power for other 'toys'.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll definitely consider it in near future, looks like a worthy investment. The budget for this season has already been stretched a little The new bucket's output is satisfactory though, and I like the modern clear glass and blue/white tint that it has. Pretty happy, overall
                  1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                  X