No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Stator Spreadsheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone needs to fire me from the comedy detail...

Sooo anyhoo, I just received a Caltric stator (Mr. Steve recommended©) for my bike today, I wish I'd remembered this thread when I was ordering. My memory is... what was I saying?? But yeah they sent me an 18 pole stator. Sure enough I took the case oft and the one inside is a 12 pole.... Well I -do- have a rotor from and 18 pole stator kicking around here. As a side note the stator from Caltric is smaller in width from the 18 pole 850 stator in my parts bin, I don't know if 750 18 pole units are normally smaller or not. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 850s have beefier units I guess. I will contact Caltric and find out if this was an 'error' (that they acknowledge) or not. I'd prefer to stick with stock specs on general principle unless there's a compelling reason not to. For example I'm replacing the regulator and the rectifier and NOT going with stock specs.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Don't fret about the different thickness of stator- I got 3 units all allegedly off 650's and they varied by about .060 inch in thickness. Just make sure you use a SH-775 to skip baking your stator.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Brett,

Looks like a worthwhile endeavor (maybe we both have a problem).
        Maybe add a column for what you know about 12 pole or 18 pole (12?, 18?), a column for what you know about this ID and that ID.
        ANd what is it that is different between 1000/1100 and the 850&under.

I have a new spare DB Electric stator ASU4002 on my shelf (or in side bag on long trip) now this year. (You may say, "Yah, now you do, why did you not last year?")

Anyway, the box says it is for GS1000, GS1100, 700 (but doesnt list years). So seems to fit the pattern I see there on your spreadsheet for the other manufactures.
        If you would like to have a column for the DB Electric units, I can volunteer to do that for you (send me spreadsheet). Or maybe you dont care to bother with such a cheap one (was $81 including shipping.)

Last edited by Redman; 06-22-2016, 07:23 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Have had some contact with a rep at Caltric. He maintains that the stator that was sent to me is the correct one for my bike, and does not appear to understand why I cannot simply put an 18 pole stator in and have it work. The two designs require different magnet configurations to function from what I've read, or did I misunderstand that? If 12 and 18 pole stators are interchangeable I'll just be happily on my way...

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

No, they're definitely not interchangeable - speaking purely of the 79 / 80 850s, you can physically fit an 18-pole stator to a 12-pole rotor and happily start the bike, but you won't get any electricity out of it. Don't ask me how I know that.
            The 18-pole GS850 rotor *might* fit your 750 crank, and it *might* clear the inside of your side case, and it *might* interface with your starter gear, but I stand to be corrected on that. When you say the stator is a different width, do you mean diameter or thickness?
            The thicknesses of the 850 stator (and the whole series that uses that diameter 18-poler) vary from 18 to 24mm, iirc. They all have the same I.D and O.D though. I'm not certain about the fixing holes position - every one I've seen has the holes in the same position, but that doesn't mean zip.
            As I mentioned above, the GS500 carried on using that stator for many years after everything else stopped doing so (though there may be others).
            Last edited by Grimly; 06-22-2016, 08:38 PM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Okay thanks. The cases are the same between the 750 and 850, per visual inspection of one of each in my grubby little hands at the same time. The diameters are the same for all three stators and all three will fit inside either rotor. mounting holes are the same on all three stators. The rotors of course have different magnet patterns and the 850 appears to have a larger balancer. As far as crank dimensions and fit I have no idea so maybe a crap shoot... Hopefully they have a 12 pole unit but they list the same stator for all 77-79 750s so maybe they only have 18 pole stators and just don't know any better. In which case I'll have to insist on a refund and go with someone else. This all needs to be hashed out with them, please wish me luck.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

A different rep contacted me first thing this morning (in CA anyway) stating that I can send it back for a refund. I take that to mean that all their units are 18 pole and will not work with older models. Hopefully they change their ordering info and stop (probably unintentionally) misleading customers.

Shopping for a stator again... thinking I'll try Electrosport. Oh well I'm still waiting on the Triumph harness so it's not like I'll be losing too much time. Thanks all!

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

New 12 pole units are less common, but here's an ebay offering

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                    Okay thanks. The cases are the same between the 750 and 850, per visual inspection of one of each in my grubby little hands at the same time. The diameters are the same for all three stators and all three will fit inside either rotor. mounting holes are the same on all three stators. The rotors of course have different magnet patterns and the 850 appears to have a larger balancer. As far as crank dimensions and fit I have no idea so maybe a crap shoot... Hopefully they have a 12 pole unit but they list the same stator for all 77-79 750s so maybe they only have 18 pole stators and just don't know any better. In which case I'll have to insist on a refund and go with someone else. This all needs to be hashed out with them, please wish me luck.
                    All that information is v.useful. All we need now is for somebody to do the swap and see what happens. If the balancer clears the casing and IF the rotor/flywheel is independently balanced of the crank, I see no real reason why it won't work. If I'd a 750 lump here I'd try it.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      New 12 pole units are less common, but here's an ebay offering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS750...dVZIZE&vxp=mtr
                      Thanks muchly, but I did find one last night for $87 with free shipping, an Electro Sport.
                      Last edited by Allie; 06-24-2016, 09:12 AM.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Just now saw this (again), I think I have a 12-pole stator left over.

I don't have anything here that would use it, it could have been yours.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you Mr. Steve, I depreciate the thought! One muffin for you.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                          X