Considering eliminating the battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering eliminating the battery

I've got a '77 GS750 cafe project. The battery is dead enough I can only kick start it. Given my current financial state I can't afford a new AGM, and so I was looking at cheaper alternatives. I also want to clean up the battery box area too to give the bike a cleaner look. I've done some googling about battery eliminators but I know that some bikes accept them easier than others. Does anyone here have one installed or have some input on the subject?

Best to leave the dead battery in till you can get a replacement- the charging system will be happier assuming it's not already fried. Even a power wheels 12 volt battery will work, since you are kickstarting. Or a 12 volt alarm system rechargeable battery
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I wouldn't eliminate the battery. I can't cite specifics, other than to say it was designed with a battery, and that's the way it will work best.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I wouldn't eliminate the battery. I can't cite specifics, other than to say it was designed with a battery, and that's the way it will work best.
        Yes the typical motorcycle charging system relies on the battery to moderate output power pulses so that the electrical systems does not see voltage spikes that would exist without a battery. Even if you eliminate the battery, the capacitor that would be involved will have a similar effect on smoothing the output that a battery would have.

Almost anything you do to redesign the charging system will cost more unless you have some large capacitor laying around that you can get for free. So in effect a lead acid battery is the cheapest alternative especially if you do down to 10 amp v.s. the more typical 14 amp-hr.

As Tom stated, don't run without something, else you will likely blow all your lights.

Comment

Working...
        X