Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting a SH775 on a '79 550E

Got the regulators for my bikes today.

Anybody ever done it, and have pictures of the installation?

I figure there are some modifications necessary, as the the stock rectifier sits on a L-shaped bracket, angled away from the airbox.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Over here, the 79 gs550 came with seperate rectifier and regulator- what do you have? The SH-775 can be mounted lots of places- lots of posts on this topic.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Over here, the 79 gs550 came with seperate rectifier and regulator- what do you have?
      Exactly that.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      The SH-775 can be mounted lots of places- lots of posts on this topic.
      Didn't find anything fitting to the 550s with their separate R/R, and the rectifier sitting on the angled bracket, though that might be because search skills too weak.

Thinking of sawing off that bracket (in case it doesn't simply unscrew), moving both the starter and indicator relay out of the way, and mounting the 775 roughly at the starter relays original position.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

First thing that I would do is to identify the three stator wires that feed the rectifier, then the output wire from the regulator. Remove the stock regulator and rectifier. See what room you have left. See if you might be able to move something over to make a little more room, if necessary. Install the new R/R. Connect the three stator wires directly to the three inputs on the new R/R. Connect the output of the R/R (the one closest to the stator inputs) to the wire that was connected to the stock regulator. Connect the ground terminal on the R/R to your Single Point Ground (if you have one). Verify your connections, start the bike, verify your voltages.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          First thing that I would do is to identify the three stator wires that feed the rectifier, then the output wire from the regulator. Remove the stock regulator and rectifier. See what room you have left. See if you might be able to move something over to make a little more room, if necessary. Install the new R/R. Connect the three stator wires directly to the three inputs on the new R/R. Connect the output of the R/R (the one closest to the stator inputs) to the wire that was connected to the stock regulator. Connect the ground terminal on the R/R to your Single Point Ground (if you have one). Verify your connections, start the bike, verify your voltages.
          Stock regulator is way smaller than the 775, and mounted on bracket, angled 90° to the airbox. I'll get some pictures up later, but were I to mount the 775 in exactly the same way as the stock reg, it would protrude too far for the sidepanel to get back on.

From what I saw so far, shuffling stuff around isn't required on later models, but on mine, I fully expect to have to move things. It's why I'm looking for prior work/ideas, rather than to reinvent the wheel.
          Thankfully, it looks like all wires are long enough.

I have not yet done the SPG modification, that will be done after I replace the R/R. I did however connect all three stator legs directly to the existing regulator.

Electrical is no problem; it's the mechanics which leave me a bit head-scratching.

Comment

I've put an SH-775 on my '79 1000, and it did involve some imagination and minor relocation.
            If you can post a photo of the current arrangement it will assist those who are more than happy to offer some creative options.
            2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
            1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
            1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Your bike probably had a separate rectifier and regulator. Pictures would help. I removed that angled bracket and had room to mount the Series R/R flat on my electrics plate where the bracket used to be but I used the Compu-Fire that is more compact than the SH-775 so I couldn't really tell if you have room to mount the SH-775 flat to the plate. The '79 plate was also shaped a little differently from the '78. I don't even know if the electric plate on the 550 was the same as the 1000 but a lot of things on the 550 were similar to the 1000.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 05-25-2016, 09:18 AM.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

just put one, sh 775 on a 1980 550 yesterday. Mounted it under the battery box. Required one hole drilled in back side bottom of battery box and a fender washer on front to mount. Fit even with the triumph connectors.Slight rub on rear plastic fender- i could of grinded small amount out but fender has plenty of flex. . Now just gotta find the damn key for the bike.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long for the pics. Life happened.

Anyway; here's the current situation: (click for full size pix)

( Excuse the mess. It's stock, and focusing on function before going to aesthetics )

Note the stock rectifier mounted perpendicular to the base plate.

Holding the SH775 in front, one can see that it needs quite a bit of space here:

If I were to mount the new regulator on the base plate, I'd move both the starter and blinker relay a bit out of the way, and then mount the SH775 approximately as in the second picture.

I'm not set on putting it there though.

Originally posted by gs rider
                  just put one, sh 775 on a 1980 550 yesterday. Mounted it under the battery box. Required one hole drilled in back side bottom of battery box and a fender washer on front to mount. Fit even with the triumph connectors.Slight rub on rear plastic fender- i could of grinded small amount out but fender has plenty of flex. . Now just gotta find the damn key for the bike.
                  Oh I just love this forum. One always finds somebody else with the same problem This sounds like a good place. I'll have a look into this. Thanks!

Comment

Finally put it on yesterday afternoon. After some consideration, I found a mounting place where no drilling or any other mechanical intervention is required:

As these model years have a separate Regulator/Rectifier, the mount of the regulator can be reused:

On first glance, It's no a super nice fit, as you can mount the SH775 only at this angle, the connectors either pointing 45° up, or down, the rear fender being just a tad bit too much in the way.
                    I went the down route, to avoid blocking the air intake, and to make it harder for water to enter my ghetto connectors. Still should put some cover over there, but I'm lazy and want to ride.

I was first worried a bit about ventilation, but a first ride with a nice mix of both low and high RPM's didn't push the R/R temperature above 40°C, ambient temperature was around 25°C.

I'm going to take more measurements over the next few days, as summer is expected to finally break in with ambient temperatures above 30°C. If the R/R is fine temp-wise after that, I consider this
                    a good mounting position.

I have yet to do the SPG modification; as this is currently my only ride, I just cleaned up the old rectifier's ground connection and connected the SH775's ground there:

I was really tempted add a wire from this connection point to the battery negative, but wasn't sure about equalization currents (not sure what you call them in english). Maybe somebody can enlighten me in this regard?

Though, when measured at the battery, I got around 14.5Volts @ 2500-3000rpm, so I don't worry too much.
                    Last edited by roeme; 06-21-2016, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X