Adapting GS1000 wiring to use a SH775 R&R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapting GS1000 wiring to use a SH775 R&R

I'm trying to help a friend wire in a SH775 R&R on his 79 GS1000, which has a separate Rectifier and Regulator. I can't imagine how to search for this information. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

The 3 wires from the stator plug directly to the new reg/rec, the positive wire goes to the inner most connection of the 2 remaining and the negative terminal goes to the outer most connection of the 2 remaining. Some people wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse and others say the best way is to use the existing wiring.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      The 3 wires from the stator plug directly to the new reg/rec, the positive wire goes to the inner most connection of the 2 remaining and the negative terminal goes to the outer most connection of the 2 remaining. Some people wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse and others say the best way is to use the existing wiring.
      Yes, like picture.... Best to put red into harness
      Attached Files
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks guys. It's just like the other three bikes I've done, when you look at the wiring diagram and consider what is connected and what is disconnected. I was making it harder than it needed it to be. The smoke is clearing from the room ( and ears) now, conformation it's ok....

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Here is another mounting suggestion that I like. You have to drop the starter solenoid about a half inch but itis a pretty clean installation.
          Attached Files
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

This worked well for me: (ignore the broken fuse block). There is an ally strap that the left hole bolts through with a spacer & the strap bolts to one original hole & one new one I drilled.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm planning to do the same (SH775 to a GS1000) and gathering infos:

What do you need to do with the headlight wiring? One leg of the stator is routed through the light as far as I read here somewhere. I figure the headlight wiring needs adjusting as well then?

Comment

Originally posted by crookedspoon View Post
                What do you need to do with the headlight wiring?
                It has long been the practice here to bypass the "headlight loop", even if you don't upgrade your R/R.

Just like suggested above, connect the three stator wires DIRECTLY to the three R/R inputs. Do not connect anything to the wires that run from the stator and R/R to the headlight switch.

Those wires are there to eliminate one set of windings in the stator when the headlight is off, so the R/R would not have as much excess current to dump. Your new R/R regulates differently, it will have no problem regulating the charge if your headlight is off.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok, thanks!
                  just to make sure I understand; if I leave the cable running for the stator to the headlight switch unconnected, I'd assume the headlight's not getting any power, doesn't it? Are no further modifications necessary?
                  thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by crookedspoon View Post
                    ok, thanks!
                    just to make sure I understand; if I leave the cable running for the stator to the headlight switch unconnected, I'd assume the headlight's not getting any power, doesn't it? Are no further modifications necessary?
                    thanks again!
                    Wondered about that to but the light and switch still work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      Wondered about that to but the light and switch still work just fine.
                      Well sure, it's a double pole switch- one side does headlight, other does the stator loop!
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ahhhh...OK that explains it.Sometimes electrics are just so much voodoo to me.

Comment

great! thanks for the infos! Helpful bunch here!

Comment

Working...
                          X