Stator quick failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator quick failure

While waiting for a refund on a stator I bought on Ebay from a crook, I decided to take the stator from my parts bike so I could ride my ES. Last weekend it tested less than perfect but did charge at close to 14 volts. I went on a nice ride and came back with no problems--started right up when needed. Today it started right up again. Got gas. Started again. Went for a 143 mile ride--beautiful! Got gas before coming home and battery was near dead and wouldn't turn the motor over--had to push start it and it died at an intersection on the way home. Had to push it the last quarter mile in 99 degree heat. I just tested it and only one leg to leg test resulted in any AC volts (65+). The others were zero.

Seems like a pretty catastrophic failure. The stator I took out looked like it had been on fire. I thought this one would last long enough to get a new one on the way. Is this common? I plan on getting a Compu-fire R/R but didn't imagine the old R/R would fry a stator that quickly--if that is what has happened. Thoughts?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Stator failure is not like brake pad wear out. One small break in the insulation at the wrong place can short out a leg making charging not possible.

the stator is obviously bad. You will probably find some evidence of heating unless it is other mechanical damage.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Stator failure is not like brake pad wear out. One small break in the insulation at the wrong place can short out a leg making charging not possible.

the stator is obviously bad. You will probably find some evidence of heating unless it is other mechanical damage.
      OK, thanks. I think I'll just go ahead and order the Compu-fire R/R and Electrosport ESG024 stator and hopefully have a dependable bike going forward. I had been hoping to sell one of my bikes first (tired of only seeing money going out) but that's not happening and I don't want to give them away.
      sigpic

Comment

GS 1000 Charging story

Hi
        I have a 1978 GS 1000 just bought a few weeks ago from a perfectionest but definitly not a motorcycle mechanic
        Typical buy a used bike and ran okay for about 20 minutes then ran on 2 cylinders then none oh well just the way it goes.
        Had to get a friend that owed me money who owns a bike shop which I worked but did not get paid on a few ventures so we remain friends told him get me and I will forgive part of the money OK I got trailered home
        Had this stupid Martek ignition what a POS okay - New Dynatek ignition, New coils, Carb sync,Etc. Runs great

Charging problem - 78 gs 1000 run the 3rd lead from the stator through the light switch. Ran for a couple of days then got gas and then no go , lucky I bumped started it fired right up turned the light off and got home
        Metered out just the regulator, rectifier (2 parts on this year) Got health charging with the lights off ,turn the lights on it was discharging OK new regulator so I ordered one after reading some reviews
        Ok I hate being stranded I found this handle mounted voltage meter on e-bay (see picture) so I could monitor the volts until the new regulator came in the mail. Great told me everything my meter said
        OK rode the bike with the meter then the new regulator arrived, While waiting I examined and could not see why if I took the green and white from the stator and plug into the red and white wire to the regulator, What did I have to lose?
        WahLah 14.4 volts off idle with light on or off remained at 12.7 at idle lights on.
        Just saying I got kinda lucky but I do have a r/r in stock
        Thanks Ray
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RayC View Post
          Hi
          I have a 1978 GS 1000 just bought a few weeks ago from a perfectionest but definitly not a motorcycle mechanic
          Typical buy a used bike and ran okay for about 20 minutes then ran on 2 cylinders then none oh well just the way it goes.
          Had to get a friend that owed me money who owns a bike shop which I worked but did not get paid on a few ventures so we remain friends told him get me and I will forgive part of the money OK I got trailered home
          Had this stupid Martek ignition what a POS okay - New Dynatek ignition, New coils, Carb sync,Etc. Runs great

Charging problem - 78 gs 1000 run the 3rd lead from the stator through the light switch. Ran for a couple of days then got gas and then no go , lucky I bumped started it fired right up turned the light off and got home
          Metered out just the regulator, rectifier (2 parts on this year) Got health charging with the lights off ,turn the lights on it was discharging OK new regulator so I ordered one after reading some reviews
          Ok I hate being stranded I found this handle mounted voltage meter on e-bay (see picture) so I could monitor the volts until the new regulator came in the mail. Great told me everything my meter said
          OK rode the bike with the meter then the new regulator arrived, While waiting I examined and could not see why if I took the green and white from the stator and plug into the red and white wire to the regulator, What did I have to lose?
          WahLah 14.4 volts off idle with light on or off remained at 12.7 at idle lights on.
          Just saying I got kinda lucky but I do have a r/r in stock
          Thanks Ray
          Ummmmm.... English translation, please?

Comment

Hey Johnny
            Just a stupid story Guess I am really bored
            Clicked on your link you have no pictures Whats up?
            Check out my GS click on RayC
            This is my first GS 1000 I wanted a good Z1/Kz 1000 but they are asking alot more
            Oh well I will post something on this forum about this cam chain noise I fixed the clutch.
            My KZ1000 motors were alot quieter
            Thanks
            Ray
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RayC View Post
              Hey Johnny
              Just a stupid story Guess I am really bored
              Clicked on your link you have no pictures Whats up?
              Check out my GS click on RayC
              This is my first GS 1000 I wanted a good Z1/Kz 1000 but they are asking alot more
              Oh well I will post something on this forum about this cam chain noise I fixed the clutch.
              My KZ1000 motors were alot quieter
              Thanks
              Ray
              Nice looking bike. Welcome to the forum.

I looked at a nice KZ1000 the other day. Unfortunately, it wasn't for sale.

No, I don't post many pictures at all. That's just how I am.

Now, about that translation?

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                While waiting for a refund on a stator I bought on Ebay from a crook, I decided to take the stator from my parts bike so I could ride my ES. Last weekend it tested less than perfect but did charge at close to 14 volts. I went on a nice ride and came back with no problems--started right up when needed. Today it started right up again. Got gas. Started again. Went for a 143 mile ride--beautiful! Got gas before coming home and battery was near dead and wouldn't turn the motor over--had to push start it and it died at an intersection on the way home. Had to push it the last quarter mile in 99 degree heat. I just tested it and only one leg to leg test resulted in any AC volts (65+). The others were zero.

Seems like a pretty catastrophic failure. The stator I took out looked like it had been on fire. I thought this one would last long enough to get a new one on the way. Is this common? I plan on getting a Compu-fire R/R but didn't imagine the old R/R would fry a stator that quickly--if that is what has happened. Thoughts?
                I have no where near the knowledge on this subject that Posplayr has but I would have guessed it to be an R/R failure that caused your old stator to get fried. I would think more stator failures would be caused by bad R/R then R/R failures caused by bad stator. Long way of saying I would not have run another stator until I had a different r/r in there. A Caltric and a duanage model r/r all in is about $100 and lots of people (including my son) have had success with this combo. Of course the series type stator is very popular as well.

Comment

Aaah Daah
                  OK translation You have to be a good mechanic to maintain these old great bikes
                  Sound Better
                  ray

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                    I have no where near the knowledge on this subject that Posplayr has but I would have guessed it to be an R/R failure that caused your old stator to get fried. I would think more stator failures would be caused by bad R/R then R/R failures caused by bad stator. Long way of saying I would not have run another stator until I had a different r/r in there. A Caltric and a duanage model r/r all in is about $100 and lots of people (including my son) have had success with this combo. Of course the series type stator is very popular as well.
                    Thanks, I have come to the same conclusion. Since this is the one bike I won't sell I'll go ahead and get the combo posplayr suggested. That's going to be $270ish. That's why I have hesitated. I got a little crazy buying bikes and it finally hit me that maintaining 4-5 bikes does not make sense (for me). Now I feel like I'm fixing them up for someone else for free so I wish I hadn't fed the addiction.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                      Thanks, I have come to the same conclusion. Since this is the one bike I won't sell I'll go ahead and get the combo posplayr suggested. That's going to be $270ish. That's why I have hesitated. I got a little crazy buying bikes and it finally hit me that maintaining 4-5 bikes does not make sense (for me). Now I feel like I'm fixing them up for someone else for free so I wish I hadn't fed the addiction.
                      All of these old bikes need bucks poured into them at some point, usually right after you buy them! I just could not justify $270 when for $100 I could get a tried and true solution. The $270 is hardly a recoverable investment if you are going to sell. If your going to keep long term then it may be well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                      X