Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

loose wire making bike cut out - easy to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loose wire making bike cut out - easy to fix?

Hi all,
    Very recently the bike has started cutting out when I turn the handlebars from side to side - not ideal!
    I very quickly remedied this with a cable tie wrapped around a bunch of wires and to something solid, but it still happens from time to time.
    Clearly it's dangerous to ride the bike to a garage like this, so I'm wondering how easy/horribly difficult it is to fix the ailment myself?
    I assume I'll need to take off the headlight and keep going until I find the offending wire(s), see if I can work out where/why it's loose and correct it.
    Is this easy to do, or am I opening a can of worms?
    Thanks in advance, James
    P.S. I have 2 small children and very limited time to play with the bike, so it's not like I can take a whole weekend (or even more than an hour or 2 at a a time) to dedicate to this.

There are a couple large connectors under the gas tank that can come loose or even melt if corrosion sets in. Good place to start.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Remove the tank run the engine, wiggle wires until you find the one that makes the engine cut out. Should be very easy to find.

Then fix whatever you find wrong with the wire.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok, cool, will take a look.
        I assumed it would be a loose connection up near the headlight and all that.

Comment

YAY - found it and fixed it.
          It was an old and knackered bullet connector on the main loom from the battery. Found it by pinching along the loom until it came alive. VERY chuffed with myself ;-)
          Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Cool. Now fix all of the other corroded and damaged connectors in there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X