Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrosport R/R

FYI for the R/R shoppers:

Electrosport has what seems to be a good technical page about the GS charging system on their website: http://www.electrosport.com/technica...sue?model=2443 and claim their R/R is a good match to their stators so I sent a message asking what type of R/R they make, shunt, series or mosfet. (If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know even to ask and I still don't know what the words mean). I got an answer back pretty quickly that it is a shunt type R/R. I get the idea from reading posts here that shunt type might have good application but not for our bikes. I already decided to get a Compu-fire but did I get that correct?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Shunt r/r were popular because it was the abolutely cheapest approach when the main alternative was a feild controlled alternator. The biggest joke was the MOSFET shunt r/r that came out a a fed years back. The reality is that these MOSFET shunt devices could have no cost advantage over a series r/r .

So to your question, today there is no application where the shunt r/r is prefer rabble excfpt one where it is not possible to burn a stator. Those are very few.

if you see my signature you can see a summary in GS stator.

Comment

I went through your keepandshare docs. I comprehend but don't understand--and that's okay. I'm just glad you have brought the conclusions back to earth with recommendations for a dependable setup!

Sad that electrosport makes a quality stator but still doesn't get it regarding the R/R.
      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
          FYI for the R/R shoppers:

Electrosport has what seems to be a good technical page about the GS charging system on their website: http://www.electrosport.com/technica...sue?model=2443 and claim their R/R is a good match to their stators so I sent a message asking what type of R/R they make, shunt, series or mosfet. (If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know even to ask and I still don't know what the words mean). I got an answer back pretty quickly that it is a shunt type R/R. I get the idea from reading posts here that shunt type might have good application but not for our bikes. I already decided to get a Compu-fire but did I get that correct?
          Going on 8 years on my Compufire and not a days problem with it. If it had been a shunt RR I would have burned out 3 stators by now.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Going on 8 years on my Compufire and not a days problem with it. If it had been a shunt RR I would have burned out 3 stators by now.
            That is great to hear

Comment

Finally installed NEW Electrosport ESG 024 stator and Compu-fire R/R! Quick test showed that my battery is a bit weak dropping .7 volts with the key on--which I already knew but charging is stable with 2500 and 5000 readings between 14.05 and 14.20 with 5000 being about .10 to .15 volts lower. So still losing some (I haven't soldered the connections yet) but finally in the dependable zone.
              sigpic

Comment

Looks like you are much closer. Clean out the fuse box and coat it with something. I have a link of contact treatments.

If you re run the Phase A tests and measure the drops and they are good you can relax and not worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Looks like you are much closer. Clean out the fuse box and coat it with something. I have a link of contact treatments.

If you re run the Phase A tests and measure the drops and they are good you can relax and not worry about it.
                  I'll redo phase A tests in the morning but I did solder the both positive and negative connections to the new R/R (not the stator connections yet) and I'm at 14.29 at 2500 and 14.26 at 5000. Pretty close now, yes?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                    I'll redo phase A tests in the morning but I did solder the both positive and negative connections to the new R/R (not the stator connections yet) and I'm at 14.29 at 2500 and 14.26 at 5000. Pretty close now, yes?
                    Yes that is good but the thing to finish it off is making sure those connector drops at 5K are low. With a SPG you can typically get well below 0.1V and without too much trouble people get the positive side to within about 0.1V. This is gilding the lily to a certain extent, but higher voltages is indicative of corrosion that won't get any better and depending on your local humidity will just get worse.

Comment

Yes that is good but the thing to finish it off is making sure those connector drops at 5K are low. With a SPG you can typically get well below 0.1V and without too much trouble people get the positive side to within about 0.1V. This is gilding the lily to a certain extent, but higher voltages is indicative of corrosion that won't get any better and depending on your local humidity will just get worse.
                      I did the SPG before the stator completely failed. Negative side was good but positive side needed some help. I'll check tomorrow to see if this change affected those numbers.
                      sigpic

Comment

Phase A test positive side .13-.14, negative side 0.0.

Pic of the Compu-fire installed. Tight fit but it works.
                        Last edited by glib; 07-03-2016, 06:10 PM. Reason: Added pic
                        sigpic

Comment

What model Compu-Fire is that?
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                            What model Compu-Fire is that?
                            Compu-Fire Regulator for 40A 3-Phase Charging Systems 55402

Amazon. $150.00.
                            sigpic

Comment

Probably good enough unless you want to dig into the harness to find the "T". That is assuming you did everything else.

i assume your peak charging voltage came up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X