Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the IC Igniter? for a Suzuki 81 GS650G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the IC Igniter? for a Suzuki 81 GS650G?

Please help me out w/ this, I can not make head of tails:IC-IgniterUnit2.jpg
    Is this the IC Igniter?
    Thanks!

Nope, starter solenoid.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

IC Igniter Unit for a GS650G 1981

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Nope, starter solenoid.
      My bad, I'm desperate and talking non-sense. But I can not find the IC Igniter.
      Between the right and left plastic covers there is the rectifier (on the right), the fuse box (below the seat) and the starter solenoid (on the left), the battery is located right below the seat too in the center of the bike. The original carb filter was replaced w/ individual ones (K&Ns). Anyway, I can not find the igniter. Sorry.

Comment

Is it possible that the stock igniter has been replace with a Dyntek ignition system? Look under the timing cover and see what's there.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Is it possible that the stock igniter has been replace with a Dyntek ignition system? Look under the timing cover and see what's there.
          I opened the cover and it looks like something was done. Not 100 % sure yet.

Comment

Take a few pics and post it. Full view of what's under each side cover and one of what's behind the timing cover. That will tell the whole story.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Look here under "signal generator"
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                That's what the igniter lools like but still doesn't show him where the igniter is. If the PO has changed things out then who knows what he's got in there.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

if you look under the timing cover of the engine and see this, then the PO replaced the ignition system with a Dynatek DS3-2, and that's another can of worms

Comment

Look on the bottom of the battery box
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Or under the air filter box as that's where the 550s are sitting
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Not that there is a lot of places to hide it if it's there. Three screws and the ignition cover is off, might be easier to start there. Just seen that you looked under the cover, any thoughts?
                        Last edited by yank; 07-02-2016, 10:48 PM.
                        81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

DynaTek system is! When I test the coils i get w/ the ignition on about 10.9 volts ofn each spade foar both coils but when i carnk the engine i don't get spark in 1 & 4 (first coil on the left). I'll try to find some troubleshooting on the DynaTekDynaTekSuzuki.jpg If someone knows please advise me.

Comment

Dynatek system is, on new coils when i text the voltage w/ the ignition on I get about 10.9 volts of each spade. But when I crank the engine I don't get spark from the first coil that serves plug 1 & 4. I'll look for trouble shooting the DynatekDynaTekSuzuki.jpg

Comment

Ok, i have an idea as to what is going on now. Some here will remember i had the exact same issue you are having. So here's what i want you to do.

-connect the multimeter - black lead to ground
                              -turn both the ignition key and kill switch on
                              -on the left coil, measure voltage at the signal wire terminal at the coil on the 1/4 coil. You should get 1.2-1.4 volts
                              -if you are not getting the specified voltage, mark the back plate for the 1/4 pulser coil pickup on the dynan which is the left pulser coil.
                              -loosen the 2 allen head screws holding that coil down and lift it off of the back plate and then reinstall and line it back up with the marks you made.
                              -recheck voltage at the signal terminal on the 1/4 coil (left ignition coil on the frame). Did voltage return?

By the looks of it, you have the ds3-1. What you need is the ds3-2, which is the one that i have pictured. Also, dynatek ds systems can be prone to fail. It's almost a 50/50 shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X