Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Issues

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help I can get.
    I received a 1983 GS550E from a friend that had been sitting in his garage for 1.5 years with 19k miles. I took it off of his hands, gave it a good oil change and new battery and got it running. Definitely not that smooth. Ever since I got it running, I have to put the choke on full to get it started. I lower the choke as the RPM increase, but if it gets too low before its fully warmed up it dies, it has jumped up to over 3,000 RPM while warming up.

Just recently during a really hot summer day, it died on me. Now I can get it started on a cold engine, but once it is warmed up it will die on me and not restart until its had a chance to settle/cool down. I tried with a new battery, so I doubt its a battery issue. After looking online, I've read that it could be the starter relay or the ignition coils. I tested the starter relay by connecting it directly to the battery. It did not actuate, but there was a connection because we got a spark off the battery leads. We tested the spark plugs by pulling the spark plugs from the engine, but still connected through the ignition coils and saw no spark after turning over the engine. The spark plugs look fine from a visual inspection. Then I tested the resistance on the ignition coils and found a reading of 4.5 ohms on the primary, but nothing on the secondary.

I'm planning on replacing the coils, but I'm not sure what to do with the starter relay. If I could get some help on what my next steps should be, or if I'm even headed in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated. And if I could also get some direction on where I should buy the parts needed.

I am going to look through the forums for an other electrical problems that these bikes are prone too in hopes of trouble shooting a few more bugs.
    Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I also apologize in advance if this post is a repeat. I just wanted to make sure I got everything out and I had a post in case anything else goes wrong.

Did you ground the spark plug body on the engine when checking for spark? You need to do that.

If the bike has been siting for over a year you probably have gummed up carbs. There is a whole section here for carb cleaning - read it and clean them thoroughly. Also check you valve clearances.

I doubt your problem is electrical.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I did not ground the plug body. I'll give that a try.
      I read somewhere that if that the ignition coils could stop working once they were warmed up. That's why I thought it could be an electrical issue. After talking with several people about my issue, they said that it sounded like a carb issue. Then after speaking with some motorcycle mechanics, they were pretty convinced that it was an electrical issue.
      And just to be clear, I did have the bike running for a solid two months before it started shutting down on me. That's why I was leaning away from the gummed up carb issue, because I felt that if the carbs were gummed up, I would have had this issue from the beginning.
      I'll look more into the carb cleaning and valve clearance too though.

Thanks

Comment

Since it ran for two months before this stuff, your carbs might be sorta OK after sitting for 1.5 years, but chances are those 33 year old carb boot o-rings are dried out and didn't like feeling the heat again. Leaking here will give you all sorts of fits . Head to this link (a member on here)

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you remove a plug connected to a plug wire and turn the engine over and the plug isn't near a ground, it won't spark. Hold it close but not touching the engine to see spark. By connecting the starter relay directly to the battery it proved nothing. The starter relay is already connected directly to the battery and grounds through the starter mounted to the engine and thus to the frame. If you want to test the starter, you can put a screwdriver across both larger terminals and the starter should turn over. This will also cause a bit of a spark so don't be surprised. The carburetors on your bike have enrichener circuits. To use them effectively, don't touch the throttle with the choke actuated. It is normal for them to begin increasing in rpms when warming up to 3K rpms and even above. You should not need to necessarily use the "choke" on the hottest days and if you do, it can be easy to flood the engine; especially if you play with the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
            If you remove a plug connected to a plug wire and turn the engine over and the plug isn't near a ground, it won't spark. Hold it close but not touching the engine to see spark.
            Wrong.... Have the threaded section of the plug laying on/touching the cooling fins of the head. That provides the ground needed to complete the secondary circuit and provide spark. Don't hold the plug while cranking. Trust me... It will be the last time you hold the plug while cranking again.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I think that is what I said; hold plug close to engine but not touching to get a spark as that orientation provides the ground. Geesh, obviously the plug has to be removed from the head and put back in the plug cap. Spend some of your expertise helping this guy rather that correcting me; especially when what I said was correct, if not stated as well as you might like.

Comment

hold plug close to engine but not touching to get a spark
                I was trying to help the poster... Trying to keep him from getting electrocuted.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

If the plug cap is rubber, there won't be a shock. You are right in that if the guy is very new, he may want to let it dangle close the the fins. Sorry for getting sensitive. It also sounds like the poor guy is without a frame of reference as far as bike mechanics and has suffered from a lot of advice; perhaps not all spot on. THanks

Comment

Yes. I am very new to this. I've wanted to learn how to work on engines and my friend said that working on a motorcycle would be the easiest route. So all this info is very much appreciated. I'll come back after I've tried all these things.

Comment

If the plug cap is rubber, there won't be a shock.
                      As long as there are no cracks in the insulation...been there, done that.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Squishy

You need to go here

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

and do a lot of reading.

Not saying that will cure your problem, but there's lots of good info there.

It does sound like your problem could be electrical. So, get a multimeter (VOM) and test the components. Coils and ignitor would be the 1st things I'd check

It appears that you are confusing the starter solenoid with other issues. The solenoid is a high amperage switch to power the starter motor only. If your starter spins, the solenoid is working

You should also be checking the wiring harness connections to see if there is a difference in voltage between the battery and any point in the harness. This is a common issue with all old bikes.

The full choke to start issue points to dirty carbs, so a cleaning is in order.

Check the Top 10 Newbie Mistakes in the link above for a better running, more reliable machine.
                        Last edited by Big T; 08-03-2016, 04:44 PM.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                        X