replaced my stator, still not charging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced my stator, still not charging.

Okay, my stator tested bad. No ohms between three yellow wires. I replaced it and gasket today. Still not charging. Took a look at the regulator plugs, and they are black and slightly melted. Bad rectifier?

It's pretty much either bad wiring of bad RR if you have a good stator.

Have you tested your RR?
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I vote bad electrical

Comment

Black is from heat. Heat is from resistance. Resistance is caused by corrosion in the connectors. Clean or replace those connectors or the expensive new parts will fail right away.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ordered new rectifier, it will be here Friday. It comes with a plug and connector for harness side as well.

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
            Okay, my stator tested bad. No ohms between three yellow wires.

Explain what this means.

Comment

Originally posted by JayWB View Post
              Explain what this means.
              Probably means his meter can't register as low as .8 ohms wire to wire .

Hopefully he noticed all the clamoring for the SH-775 when he bought his new r/r.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My multimeter reads resistance just fine. I use it everyday at work, so don't just assume. It means there was no resistance between the three stator wires. Therefore, stator was bad.

Comment

Have you checked the stator output, open cct betwen phases at 5000 rpm. Looking for 80 volts ac ideally.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yes. Nothing on the old one. Do not have my meter here. It's at work in my tool box.

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
                      My multimeter reads resistance just fine. I use it everyday at work, so don't just assume. It means there was no resistance between the three stator wires. Therefore, stator was bad.
                      No resistance means zero ohms. There should be very close to zero ohms resistance between the legs of the stator.

If you're saying that your stator read zero ohms from leg to leg, and that was your justification for replacing it, you've made a mistake.

Comment

Besides checking the resistance and AC output voltage between the three output wires did you check each wire to see if they were shorted to ground? More then likely going by your description of melted connectors. All connections must be clean or replaced to insure no resistance which causes heat as mentioned before and cause any of the new components to fail quickly. After insuring all connections are clean I run a ground directly from the R/R to the battery to insure a good path to ground for the R/R.
                        Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 08-21-2016, 08:45 PM.
                        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Not according to the stator papers. Less than .5 ohms=bad stator. And as you can plainly see, its definitely a crispy critter....
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2016, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Just for the sake of curiosity, is there any way to bypass the r/r with diodes in an emergency? If only for a short time? If so, what size diodes should one keep on hand? After all, all a regulator does in convert Ac to Dc, and tone it down yes? Diode does the same thing.

Comment

Sure if you want to burn out your electronics with an unregulated supply. It is called a 3 phase full wave rectifier. Look it up on the web.

Comment

Working...
                              X