82 GS1100 bad solenoid or starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100 bad solenoid or starter

Hi there, so I have a gs1100 which was running and charging fine just until last night. It was cold so I was cranking it longer than usual, was cranking for about 8 seconds but not starting. On my second attempt I only get a single click from the solenoid, starter doesn't spin. Battery is new and reads 12.6v. When I measure the volt across the two large solenoid terminals I get 12.6v but when I pull the clutch in and press the start button I get 0v across the two large solenoid terminals. Is this normal? Should it be the opposite because now it seems power isn't getting to the starter. Haven't taken the starter cover off yet so I didn't measure to see if the starter lead is getting voltage.

I also tried jumping the solenoid terminals with clutch pulled in and got nothing, no sparks, starter didn't move. Is this a sign of a bad starter?

Thanks for the help. I've searched the forums and from my reading it seems to be a bad starter. When I get the cover off ill give it a tap to see if that gets it going but the 0v reading across the solenoid is confusing me so any explaination would help, thanks again.

By jumping the two big lugs on the starter relay, you were effectively sending voltage directly from the battery to the starter and the relay no longer was part of the picture. The starter should be pulled out and tested. You can connect one of the two mount holes via wire to the NEG terminal on your battery and touch the lug where the cable is connected. If it doesn't do anything, time for a new starter. If it is OK... in other words if it jumps and scares you by whizzing away, then your starter clutch needs to be looked at.

Comment

Get a friend to try to start it while you put the multi meter on the battery and see how far the volts drop
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When I measure the voltage from the solenoid lead going to the starter and ground I get 11.98v. The battery is 12.45v. Is this volt difference too large? Is 11.98 enough for the starter?

Comment

Yes... that is OK.

Comment

Working...
          X