Starter Rebuild, Shims Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Rebuild, Shims Questions

Hello, so I'm going to rebuild the starter with a brush kit but have a question regarding the two long exterior bolts holding the case ends together. I haven't got the brush kit yet but when I was just putting the starter back together I noticed that if I tighten the exterior bolts so that the o rings are snug, I cant turn the shaft by hand. If I loosen the bolts enough, I can eventually turn the shaft by hand but there's quite a gap between the case and o ring. Is this where the shims come in? Ie should I add more shims when I get the rebuild kit so that the o rings are snug and so that I can turn the shaft by hand?

Thanks

Kinda guessing here as I don't have a exploded parts view drawing .. is the armature fully seated in the bearings/housing? Has something dropped into the bearing recess that prevents the arm from seating?

Is there a "step" in the comm due to wear that is hanging something up?

Comment

Make sure the markings line up.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
      X