No announcement yet.

Vetter Windjammer wiring harness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again for all your help and knowledge guys...

Gorminrider - I'm sure it had a few extra bells and whistles... WELL no it probably had running lights. BUT beyond that I believe it was pretty basic.

Steve - Ok... Noted... The bike is minus a horn right now. WHICH may explain the loose wires under the seat. Maybe? Maybe not? I have a random black and a random green wire going NOWHERE! I've marked them so I remember they had no destination from the beginning. I also have a random yellow/green wire taped into itself in the front going nowhere. Its a rather long wire, coming off the OEM wiring harness. See thats the trouble I'm having. I have a few random wires going NOWHERE and I'm like "Ok these have to go to something... BUT what?" Obviously I want to make sure everything is nice and tucked up before I start out on the bike. Once I eliminate all of the Vetter wiring I'll look into what is OEM. Just tracking everything down and buttoning it all up.

850 Combat - Ok... noted... Currently I am without front blinkers. The Vetter kit handled the blinkers. I'll be looking soon for some new ones. Ok good deal on the bucket... I feel it'll work. Just waiting on the mounting brackets. They should be here today OR tomorrow. I didn't think there would be a huge difference between them. I mean ENOUGH that it would deem the part unusable. I mean I can make it work if I have to. As long as it holds the light securely on the front of the bike... Its fulfilling its duty.

Redman - Ok... noted... The attached photo is the picture of the one I nabbed. I sand blasted all of the rust outta the interior last night. I'm planning on rattle canning the interior to just clean it all up and help keep it from rusting. Its the interior... SO no one will see it. I also have the interior brackets. I just haven't put them back in yet. I nabbed the headlight off the Vetter kit. BUT with the brakets in it... The light doesn't fit. BUT I'm sure I'm trying to shove the wrong bulb into the wrong bracket. Without the clips everything fits. Just need the light rim to hold the light in.

20161107_081843.jpg

Comment

**UPDATE** I've removed the Vetter plug and everything is still functional. I've gotta repair 3 wires... they had those blue clip on splices. It's damaged the wire something good. Other than that everything is marked for the most part. There are a few plugs under the seat that i haven't marked. Only because i wasn't finding them on the wiring diagram. But looking at the backside i have the number off the electrical part they connect to.

Still missing a horn though. I have two random wires up front that connected to an orange wire on the Vetter unit. But these two wires are black. From the diagram they're supposed to be black and green. So we shall see. I still need to drain the tank and get a good look at the underside. Other than that we are Vetter free.

Thanks again for all the help guys. It's helped IMMENSELY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dead_mike View Post
        Just waiting on the mounting brackets. They should be here today OR tomorrow. I didn't think there would be a huge difference between them. I mean ENOUGH that it would deem the part unusable. I mean I can make it work if I have to. As long as it holds the light securely on the front of the bike... Its fulfilling its duty.
        Good luck with THAT thought, because there ARE differences in the mounting brackets.

You have a GL. It comes standard with a smaller headlight, so the mounting brackets are shaped to fit that. If you install G brackets with an L headlight bucket, the brackets need to angle inward a bit, which will change the angle of the turn signals. Similarly, if you install a G bucket on L brackets, the brackets will be angled outward, forcing the signals to angle out a bit.

About your loose wires: is the green wire under the seat a lighter green? If so, it and the black wire are the turn signals, likely for the rear. The GL signals had long wires on them that connected to bullet connectors on the front of the fender, just behind the battery box. If, by "yellow/green" you mean "yellow wire with a green stripe", that is the wire from the starter button to the "safety" switch at the clutch and on to the starter solenoid.

What puzzles me is the fact that you have long wires that are not bundled in the harness. The only long, unbundled wires that I am familiar with are the ones from the rear turn signals and tail light. They reach all the way to the battery area, which is not quite 2 feet away. Any other wire should not be more than a few inches sticking out of a bundle.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you decide the mix match of headlight ears and bucket don't work, here's a thought. I used some aftermarket stuff to get by for a while. These brackets just clamp on.

This was an 82 GS 1100 GL with GS 750 (?) bucket, yamaha (?) blinkers, and some aftermarket brackets. I picked through a box for parts to get it going. It's a file pic and photobucket won't load on my laptop.

1100 headlight and blinkers.jpg
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I have chrome ears from an L, as well as a full bucket, trim ring and headlight. Let me know what parts you need.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know if i should start a new thread or continue with with this one. But so I'm not over posting I'll continue here.

SOOOOOO i found a way to make the bike NOT wanna start... i pulled the tank last night to see what i was working with underneath. Plus i had to reroute the wiring harness. Somehow in all of that i caused the bike to not wanna start. I have a feeling its an easy fix. Basically all my dials are lit up. But i flip the bike to RUN and hit the starter button AND nothing. I have a feeling the problem is something to do with power to or from the starter switch. When I get off work tonight I'll track everything down again. Make sure everything is tight and everything has power.

I'm down to two random connections going nowhere now. One is orange that's coming out of the wiring harness about middle of the tank. And the other is a ground connecting to the electronics cluster to the right of the battery. Other than that everything has a destination.

The two random connections under the seat that went nowhere were splices. They were spliced into the taillight. I also eliminated a red into brown wire that ran from the positive battery post to the Vetter harness.

Steve - I'm looking at using a closed bulb headlight. I'm finding it to be a snug fit in the headlight bucket i posted earlier. In your opinion will the rim/ring secure the bulb?

Comment

Working...
              X