No announcement yet.

Alternative to the SH775 RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad I asked before I started snipping and attaching. Thanks for the helpful replies and , yes, it is the 1100g. Due to other life stuff I won't get to this until Tuesday but will know what to avoid. I could have sworn I read somewhere you could go direct to the battery if you put a 25 or 30 amp fuse in between.
    Last edited by 1948man; 05-13-2017, 08:27 AM.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
      I'm glad I asked before I started snipping and attaching. Thanks for the helpful replies and , yes, it is the 1100g. Due to other life stuff I won't get to this until Tuesday but will know what to avoid. I could have sworn I read somewhere you could go direct to the battery if you put a 25 or 30 amp fuse in between.
      Why you connect to the harness red and do not go straight to the battery.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Kawasaki KZ bikes send the R/R power output directly back to the battery on at least some bikes. My 750 routs power to the starter solenoid and then it jumpers back to the battery. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put a fuse in line I suppose.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks to all for the help.
          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

20170517_094701.jpg

Is the red wire on the left side of the 5-wire connector the one I'm looking for to receive the positive from the R/R? This connector has been left unused by a previous owner (aftermarket R/R wired direct). I can't find a 5-wire connector like that in the wiring diagram (I'm probably reading it wrong) but I do see a connector like that, except without the b/w ground wire, which hooks up the the R/R in the diagram. The respective wire colors match up perfectly except the diagram doesn't show the 5th b/w ground wire on the extreme right side of the pictured connector. The wires from this connector run up to what I assume is referred to as the "T" and then I'm thinking 3 wires run down to connect to the stator wires in the original configuration.
            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Yes I would say the solid red is the one going to the"T" which then splits to the fuse box and ignition switch looking at the diagram you are correct I do not see a five wire connector however the black/white is usually a ground wire. The remaining 3 wires would go to the stator.
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                Yes I would say the solid red is the one going to the"T" which then splits to the fuse box and ignition switch looking at the diagram you are correct I do not see a five wire connector however the black/white is usually a ground wire. The remaining 3 wires would go to the stator.

Thank you sir, I just wanted a little reassurance. I'm not real confident in my electrical analyses.
                1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

"#1: Ground R/R(-) to case and side plate
                  • #2: The shortest wire to a frame bolt
                  • #3: The shortest wire to the Battery (-)
                  • #4: Connects to the (B/W) harness negative ring lugs (typically the one attached at the solenoid mounting bolt). You can leave the other harness ground ring lug (B/W) where it normally is picking up the battery box ground"……………………………."

I'm not sure on wire #4. It's not the heavy cable on the solenoid neg is it? Isn't that for the starter? That's the only wire hooked up to the post opposite the post where the battery positive mates with the solenoid. There are 2 other smaller gauge B/W wires close. The one on the right side of the connector pictured in post 35 of this thread and one that is presently fitted to the negative battery terminal. I'm thinking it's the one fitted to the battery negative post. Am I on the right track. Should I just connect both of the smaller ones to the single point ground? I'm finally getting around to actually working on this.
                  Last edited by 1948man; 05-20-2017, 07:42 PM.
                  1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
                  X