Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS850 Just Died mid ride & there is nothing on instrument cluster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 Just Died mid ride & there is nothing on instrument cluster?

Hello,

I am sorry, I move in 5 days. I was planning on riding the bike down to the new in 4 days. I have an hour and a half ride. I took out the bike (which I haven't ridden yet this Spring/Summer. I put about a whopping 30 miles on it yesterday). I drove it to work this morning and got this. Today on the way to work everything was wonderful and beautiful and no problems I drove it approximately 8 miles. I pulled up to a stop sign and everything just died. I turned the key off. Then back on. None of my instrument cluster was working. no head light light on, no gear light on telling me which gear i am in, no nothing. I installed LED side lights which I have hooked directly to the batter with an on/off switch and a fuse and that was still on and bright so there is something of power. It would not turn over it would not do anything. I pushed it to the bar and then called my ambulance dispatch for my partner to come pick me up with the ambulance so I could work. I work a 24 hour shift as a paramedic. I do not have availability to the bike at this time. After a Call that put us really close to the bike we swung over and I pulled all of the fuses and replaced them with new ones. No change. The instrument panel still does not come on and the LED running lights still come on with the other switch. It still does not turn on, it does not turn over, nothing. I checked and yes the kill switch was not on so that solves that simple problem.

Questions?????
    What do I test first? Second? Third?
    I was planning on testing the battery first. After that I guess check all of my connections and clean them. Clean all of the connections with electrical cleaner spray and wire brush all of the washer connectors I can find.

I do not know enough.
    I know enough to get myself into trouble.
    I am freaking out a little bit because I need to be packing not fixing the bike.
    I move on Saturday and was riding it on Friday.

Any suggestions as to where do I begin? What do I look at first?

Thank you so much. Hopefully it is something small so I do not have to toe it to the new house.

i'm not familiar with the GS850 wiring, but someone that is will step in shortly i'm sure.

Since you've still got burning LED lights i'd say the battery has enough power to troubleshoot.
    Here's a wiring diagram.

There's a 4-wire connector in the headlight that connects to the ignition switch.
    Check that's plugged in correctly and if so, unplug and see if you can measure 12v on the red wire coming from the battery/fuse box.

Since you've lost all power/lights etc i'd say this may not be the case.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by tyreljsteines View Post
      Hello,

I am sorry, I move in 5 days. I was planning on riding the bike down to the new in 4 days. I have an hour and a half ride. I took out the bike (which I haven't ridden yet this Spring/Summer. I put about a whopping 30 miles on it yesterday). I drove it to work this morning and got this. Today on the way to work everything was wonderful and beautiful and no problems I drove it approximately 8 miles. I pulled up to a stop sign and everything just died. I turned the key off. Then back on. None of my instrument cluster was working. no head light light on, no gear light on telling me which gear i am in, no nothing. I installed LED side lights which I have hooked directly to the batter with an on/off switch and a fuse and that was still on and bright so there is something of power. It would not turn over it would not do anything. I pushed it to the bar and then called my ambulance dispatch for my partner to come pick me up with the ambulance so I could work. I work a 24 hour shift as a paramedic. I do not have availability to the bike at this time. After a Call that put us really close to the bike we swung over and I pulled all of the fuses and replaced them with new ones. No change. The instrument panel still does not come on and the LED running lights still come on with the other switch. It still does not turn on, it does not turn over, nothing. I checked and yes the kill switch was not on so that solves that simple problem.

Questions?????
      What do I test first? Second? Third?
      I was planning on testing the battery first. After that I guess check all of my connections and clean them. Clean all of the connections with electrical cleaner spray and wire brush all of the washer connectors I can find.

I do not know enough.
      I know enough to get myself into trouble.
      I am freaking out a little bit because I need to be packing not fixing the bike.
      I move on Saturday and was riding it on Friday.

Any suggestions as to where do I begin? What do I look at first?

Thank you so much. Hopefully it is something small so I do not have to toe it to the new house.
      Man that's a drag. They never poop out at a good time, huh? Personally, I'd focus on the move, toe the bike, and take your time chasing down electrical issues when you're not stressed about other things.

Is there a garage where you're moving, or is it better logistically now? If you have to order parts you're at the mercy of shipping and receiving on time so consider that too.

Good luck!
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I would first check the battery cable connections. Sounds like a loose terminal to me.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I agree with your comment about battery must be okay because your new lights (not powered by bikes harness) are powering up.

At first I was thinking charging system not working and then battery went too low to keep it running, but that would still have the lights on some.

Seems like you have lost everything, so problem is either the main fuse or the main cuircuit to/from the main fuse or the ignition swtich itselof.... or battery connection (If seperate from the new light cirtcuit). SO not a problem with Head light fuse or signal fuse or ignition fuse. And not a problem with kill switch since that only effects the starter and ignition.

My biggest comment is that you need a volt meter or at least a test light probe to find where you do have power and where you dont have power and then narrow it down to where you are loosing it. Other wize you are looking all over and probably still cant find it.

If have power at the fuse block and leaving the main fuse, but not at the key swtich, then are loosing it between the two in the wirting harness, probably where the harness flexes around the sterring neck.

Ah, sounds like you have a lot of other stuff demanding your time. Maybe one of your moving trips needs to have a bike hauling trailer.
          Last edited by Redman; 05-29-2017, 07:11 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

did you do any maintenance work on the bike recently ?

When were the LED lights installed, and did you remove the tank or open the headlight for that ?
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
            X