Firing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
    The plug wires are in the right order but the spark seems to be weak or erratic... Soooo new plugs or new coils? Thoughts?
    Remove/unscrew the spark plug caps and snip 1/4 inch off each plug wire to expose fresh copper. Ignition coils are very durable. Battery voltage ok? During cranking,a weak battery might drop too much giving ignitor fits. The "choke" system on this bike is an enricher: my bike needs full choke at cold start to be happy.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Remove/unscrew the spark plug caps and snip 1/4 inch off each plug wire to expose fresh copper. Ignition coils are very durable. Battery voltage ok? During cranking,a weak battery might drop too much giving ignitor fits. The "choke" system on this bike is an enricher: my bike needs full choke at cold start to be happy.
      Thanks I'll try that... It's really bugging me that I was riding it last fall... Pull the carbs for cleaning and now it won't fire on three cylinders... I'm gonna do. Compression test later too just to make sure I still have compression because after cranking for a while only one exhaust pipe gets warm while the other three are still cold... Such weirdness....

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
        very incomplete? its a 4 cylinder, what more do you need?

the OP has a manual, he misread something or made a typo, it would be insulting and condescending to spoon feed an intelligent literate adult
        In most of the rest of the automotive/motorcycle industry, an inline 4-cylinder engine has a firing order of 1 3 4 2, which is different than Suzuki's 1 2 4 3.

Your statement that that is not the correct order was very correct, but it was incomplete because it did not provide the correct order, which, as you see, could have been either of two possibilites.

That is why you and your comments are about to make history by being the first on my "ignore" list.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That is why you and your comments are about to make history by being the first on my "ignore" list.

thank-you
          best news I've had today
          Last edited by derwood; 06-03-2017, 09:18 PM.
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood
            Steve could have just provided the information to the op, with out trolling me for a response, ...
            Since I have not taken the time to activate my ignore list, I happened to see this response.

I was not "trolling you for a response", I was merely filling in missing information.

Evidently you also feel that everyone is out to get you, there is nothing I can do to help you with that.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve is not a "troll". If you've been here long enough, you would know his writing style.

First, I wish trolls didn't exist but that's not gonna happen. Secondly, people should not be easily offended.

Complete knowledge is essential. Putting that ahead of self-offended reactions should be the priority. If at first you don't react, see what a second reply does. Initial reactions are normally/can be overreaction.

Steve, thanks for the info on firing order.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                Steve is not a "troll". If you've been here long enough, you would know his writing style.

First, I wish trolls didn't exist but that's not gonna happen. Secondly, people should not be easily offended.

Complete knowledge is essential. Putting that ahead of self-offended reactions should be the priority. If at first you don't react, see what a second reply does. Initial reactions are normally/can be overreaction.

Ed
                i used the word troll as a verb, not a noun
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Ed
                  Ed, you are quite welcome.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

FYI Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki (Japanese motorcycle companies) use 1243 firing order as well, but it doesn't really matter use, 1243 or 1342 as far as ignition wiring is concerned. The running mates are the same with either firing order and they fire together, one piston is coming up TDC exhaust to intake and one is up TDC compression to power.
                    Last edited by derwood; 06-06-2017, 08:09 PM. Reason: I edit all my posts
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                    X