Headlight Bucket for an LED Daymaker on an 82 GS850GL suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Bucket for an LED Daymaker on an 82 GS850GL suggestions

I got a free LED Daymaker headlight from a wrecked harley...works perfect, I found it does not quite fit into the stock headlight bucket depth wise, need the bucket to be a little deeper. Anyone have suggestions on a bucket/assembly that will work on the 850 and goes a little deeper? Maybe an extension piece?

Thanks,

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
    I got a free LED Daymaker headlight from a wrecked harley...works perfect, I found it does not quite fit into the stock headlight bucket depth wise, need the bucket to be a little deeper. Anyone have suggestions on a bucket/assembly that will work on the 850 and goes a little deeper? Maybe an extension piece?

Thanks,
    Chris, is there no way you can use the H-D bucket?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      Chris, is there no way you can use the H-D bucket?
      I was just offered the led light....not the bucket lol. The light wasn't side mounted if I remember right. it was bottom mount.

Comment

I was just offered the led light....not the bucket lol. The light wasn't side mounted if I remember right. it was bottom mount.
        I think that's standard for a H-D, so you would have to adapt it to work. Another problem might be getting all the wires stuffed inside it like Suzuki does. You might try to sell it for enough to buy the proper light that will fit.
        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I think that's standard for a H-D, so you would have to adapt it to work. Another problem might be getting all the wires stuffed inside it like Suzuki does. You might try to sell it for enough to buy the proper light that will fit.
          the light fits on the front, I just need an extra half inch. I am thinking of getting another bucket and pounding out the indent on it (top )....the indention doesn't serve a purpose and do not give clearance on the 850 for anything as far as I can see. That would give me the room needed.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

the light fits on the front, I just need an extra half inch. I am thinking of getting another bucket and pounding out the indent on it (top )....the indention doesn't serve a purpose and do not give clearance on the 850 for anything as far as I can see. That would give me the room needed.
            I have a bucket from an '82 650L and 1100L . I'll check out their condition tomorrow.
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

If you have the standard chrome bucket from an '82 850L, the Daymaker will not fit.

Unless it is one of the side-mounted running lights, it will be a standard 7" light. The 850L light is about 6 1/4 or 6 1/2", and none of the mounting hardware that holds the light in the bucket will work.

Your best bet will be to find a plastic bucket from a 750-1100 E or G, which WILL fit the light. However, you need to be aware that you will also need the mounting ears that hold the bucket, as well as all the chrome trim ring and mounting hardware. You should also know that the only way to change the mounting ears is to slide the fork legs down a bit, at least past the top triple, so you can slide the ears off the top of the tube. The only way around the mounting ears would be to get some universal clamp-on ears. The ears have a different offset for the larger bucket, so if you don't change them, the turn signals will be angled back a bit, instead of facing straight forward.

These suggestions are based on GUESSES about the Daymaker. I know it is a standard 7" light, but I have not seen how deep they are and how much room they take in the bucket. My only experience that is similar to that is with TruckLite bulbs. I put one on my wife's '82 850L and my son's '82 650L. The one that I put in my '80 850G is in a fairing with an adapter for a rectangular light, so that has nothing to do with your project.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If you have the standard chrome bucket from an '82 850L, the Daymaker will not fit.

Unless it is one of the side-mounted running lights, it will be a standard 7" light. The 850L light is about 6 1/4 or 6 1/2", and none of the mounting hardware that holds the light in the bucket will work.

Your best bet will be to find a plastic bucket from a 750-1100 E or G, which WILL fit the light. However, you need to be aware that you will also need the mounting ears that hold the bucket, as well as all the chrome trim ring and mounting hardware. You should also know that the only way to change the mounting ears is to slide the fork legs down a bit, at least past the top triple, so you can slide the ears off the top of the tube. The only way around the mounting ears would be to get some universal clamp-on ears. The ears have a different offset for the larger bucket, so if you don't change them, the turn signals will be angled back a bit, instead of facing straight forward.

These suggestions are based on GUESSES about the Daymaker. I know it is a standard 7" light, but I have not seen how deep they are and how much room they take in the bucket. My only experience that is similar to that is with TruckLite bulbs. I put one on my wife's '82 850L and my son's '82 650L. The one that I put in my '80 850G is in a fairing with an adapter for a rectangular light, so that has nothing to do with your project.

I have the 7 inch chrome with the mounting ears. The LED fit right in the bracket...with a little maneuvering. It just is about 1/4-1/2 inch deeper, if I hammer out the indents it will be fine, I am just not going to sacrifice the only one I have to hammer them out. Even if I hammer out the indents, the bucket will still fit comfortably in the area without hitting anything.

as far as mounting, i used a screw and two nuts along with the spacer to affix the led to the bracket in the factory til locations at the top and bottom of the light ( pressure hold ). I also cut sealing foam to fill in the gap around the lens and create a vibration cushion. The depth is the only part I have to get to fit now.

also I changed to a different style of light for the blinker/running, I now have the running light dual filament set up.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I have a bucket from an '82 650L and 1100L . I'll check out their condition tomorrow.
                  Thanks Rick, text me and let me know, I can swing by whenever you're free.

Comment

Working...
                  X