Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad regulator?

Still no charging voltage.

I checked no load test across stator leads all good there.
    Cleaned up all plugs checked for wire bad etc.
    Installed USED sh775 wired just like Suzuki intended thinking this would fix it. Same lack of volts.
    I am thinking I got a bad regulator. Anyone know something else I should check?

Chris

All grounded properly?
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Grounded to battery and frame ground. Cut the wires off the old regulator and hooked them up to the 775 so that it would be wired just like Suzuki did it. Much checking of wires and connection problems. I think I just got lucky and have a bad regulator.

I did however get the dual sport to supply voltage to the DC side. Bad connection in plug for RR. Charging woes down to 50 %.

Comment

OK, you have mentioned it is a Suzuki, and your signature says "4 cylinder newbie".

Care to offer any more clues as to what bike we are discussing here?

And, I would think that in the almost two years that you have been a member, you might have seen SEVERAL admonitions to NOT wire it "just like Suzuki did it".

There are connections between the stator and the R/R that really should be re-routed and cleaned. Just cutting off an old R/R and installing a new one only guarantees that you have a different R/R on your bike, it does very little to guarantee that you have fixed your problem. There are multiple components in the charging system (which is why it's called a "system"), you need to test each one to verify it is doing its job, before you condemn and replace it. Replacement without testing can be a wonderful waste of money.

Your only consolation there is that the 775 is, in fact, the preferred R/R, so that expense probably was not wasted, but it's still no guarantee that that was your problem in the first place.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry I forgot not everyone has the same 2 motorcycles I do. GS650GL is the one in particular giving me the trouble. I wired it up as follows. 3 legs from stator direct to RR, ground to well ground, and the battery terminal to the red wire just like it was.

Stator tested good as mentioned above. I have 3 legs going straight to RR, fresh charge on battery and no charging voltage from RR at any rpm. Battery voltage at RR with engine off is within a half volt of at battery. Checked ground and all seems good.

Comment

You have mentioned several things as "checked it" and "it is good", but obviously it is not.

Comment

Update your signature with your bike, do posplayr's quick test and report what you get, each step. Maybe take some pictures of your wiring.

This will give you and the forum an useful starting point for methodical troubleshooting. Anything else is time wasted.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

The positive output from the sh-775 is the one closest to the 3 stator lead plugs-red wire in this pic

image.jpg

If that's good, retest stator AC test, including any leg to ground at same time.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well wires break in the strangest places! ! All better now! I was going to do the sh775 any way so I don't feel like I wasted any money on it. When it all should be working and it's not, well? Found that one spot in that one wire that was mushy.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X