Ignition systems for gs850 gx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition systems for gs850 gx

Hi I have been looking into alternative ignition systems for the Gs850x Boyer branston gave the below reply they asked if it had points or electronic would like to know if it would be ok in your opinions?

Thank you for your enquiry, the GS 550 to 1000 micro power kit should fit, check the plate holding the triggers has two or three mounting screws, two is the our gs1a stator plate and three is our Kh1a plate.
    The micro power kit comes with two modern miniature dual output ignition coils, the old coils are not suitable for any of our kits.
    The advancer unit is taken to pieces and only the centre with the timing marks is used.
    If the machine has an electronic tacho it will require recalibration.
    Contact us at sales@boyerbransden.com they can quote you including delivery, and supply the extra wires you require to connect the stator plate.

Regards Tech Dept.

Also I asked this company (used to be piranha ignition) if the ckt-su1 kit would fit they state it will not fit the 850gt I assume that the gt & gx use the same or similar igniter when looking at the fitting instructions I cannot see why it would not fit I may be missing something has anyone fitted either or both systems on a Gs with the ingniter that uses the mechanical advancer unit?
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

The info that I read implied that the boyer bransden worked with the standard 4 ohm suzuki ignition coils... This for their KIT00090 unit. What's the price tag for this system? Your 850 has a mechanical advancer, so over here a dyna s system runs about $140 and can still use the stock suzuki ignition coils. I heard lots of failures with 550 and 750 ignitors, but don't recall any 850 problems.
    I'd relax and enjoy just enjoy your trip- don't forget to post some pics!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The Dyna S is a proven system that works great. Haven't seen too many issues with the stock igniter either. The Dyna will provide you with a hotter spark. Especially if you use the Dyna coils. You should be able to reuse your advance mechanism if your bike is a GS850GX which should be a 1981 model.
      Last edited by JTGS850GL; 07-01-2017, 06:01 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        The info that I read implied that the boyer bransden worked with the standard 4 ohm suzuki ignition coils... This for their KIT00090 unit. What's the price tag for this system? Your 850 has a mechanical advancer, so over here a dyna s system runs about $140 and can still use the stock suzuki ignition coils. I heard lots of failures with 550 and 750 ignitors, but don't recall any 850 problems.
        I'd relax and enjoy just enjoy your trip- don't forget to post some pics!
        Hi I have not got a quote as yet will post when they get back to me, I rode the bike today went a mile or so stopped for a couple of mins restarted first time road around 3 miles stopped for around 5 mins then road for 4 miles giving it good throttle all ok then stopped for around 5 mins set off and it started missing road around 3miles stopped 5 mins started and it ran fine went onto a quiet road give it good throttle and reverse road home all working ok? I have noticed the two plugs from the igniter are quite slack/baggy (not a tight fit. no resistance when put together) so I am wondering if the problem lies here strange it always happens when the bike has been turned off then restarted.
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Connectors are always first on the suspicion list. Check all of your connectors from the signal generator to the coils. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. I'm betting that there is no need for an igniter replacement in your case.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post

Also I asked this company (used to be piranha ignition) if the ckt-su1 kit would fit they state it will not fit the 850gt I assume that the gt & gx use the same or similar igniter when looking at the fitting instructions I cannot see why it would not fit I may be missing something has anyone fitted either or both systems on a Gs with the ingniter that uses the mechanical advancer unit?

Exactly what I've got - a 1979 (GN) points replacement Piranha system on a 1980 (GT) bike. All that's needed is the cam nose or complete advancer from the 79 bike - it fits straight on and the Piranha triggers suit it.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Exactly what I've got - a 1979 (GN) points replacement Piranha system on a 1980 (GT) bike. All that's needed is the cam nose or complete advancer from the 79 bike - it fits straight on and the Piranha triggers suit it.
              Thanks for that info did 100 mile test yesterday bike ran well so hopefully will not need new ignition but will certainly keeping your information.
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Working...
              X