Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem

Hi Guys,
    I have a 82 gs850g. I've been on here before. I wired the bike as a café racer. All is well except after I've been riding awhile and turn off the bike, when I try to start it again within a few minutes the bike barely turns over.
    I checked the starter, bench tested, works great, I checked the ground from the battery and it's fine. I tried to jump the bike from the battery to the solenoid post going to the starter and it's sluggish. Then I hit the start button and it starts right up. My battery is reading 13.7 at an idle, when I rev it up I get 14.77. I have a new rec/reg, new stator, rotor, all systems seem to be working as they should. I'm stumped. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Bench testing the starter only proves that it is not complelty shot. Bench testing it has no load on it, and it is not hot.

Starter turning slower when hot is general indication of starter being marginal.
    Pull the starter, take off the end to inspect the brushes and the commutator bars. Prpbably fing the brushes worn way down. Like this:

Can get a rebuild kit at Stocker Starters.
    Will need either a Denso (2 brush) or a Mitusha (4 brush) brush kit. Maybe you recall seeing either of those names on your starter when you had it out.

Charging system sounds good from what you said.

Last edited by Redman; 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ok, Thanks, I'll check out the brushes. I rebuilt this starter about a year ago and have had no problems. I'll post the results. Thanks again...
      Last edited by Bob Shaw; 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I checked out the brushes in my starter. They were dust. Thank you for your help. I will remember this for the future.

Comment

Working...
        X