'81 850GLX - A Whirring Starter Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 850GLX - A Whirring Starter Motor

Depressing the start button causes the starter motor to make a whirring sound but not engage the motor. The solenoid/relay emits a single click when depressing the button, but no constant chatter. Bypassing the solenoid/relay produces the same result, a whirring sound from the starter.

The connections are clean and tight. Battery is new, fully charged and on a Battery Tender. Lights are not installed yet but the instrument cluster lights up and the horn works.

Solenoid is good and probably should now focus on the starting motor, right?

I'll remove the starter motor cover and lightly smack the motor to see if it's stuck. Otherwise, my next steps are to remove the stator cover and check if the motor engages into the idler gear. Is the idler gear in the right position? Not sure how to check if the starter clutch is working. Am I missing something? On the right track? Help is appreciated.

The bike sat untouched in a shed for 35 years. I have it almost back together after a complete tear down and thought I was about done...not so fast. There's been a lot of two steps forward, one back, etc. etc.

Sounds like the right track. Whirring probably means the motor is turning.
    The clutch may not be engaging. After 35 years of inactivity there would be parts of me that might not function as intended.
    Judicious tapping might be the more prudent course initially. No sense in tearing something down that just needs a bit of encouragement to free off.
    The big ring gear at the back of the clutch should be free in one direction.
    Hard to see how the idler could be out of position or missing more likely, then there is always a first time.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks, Brendan. I agree. While I don't want to take things apart (again), I suspect the clutch may not be engaging. Is there a test to confirm that the clutch works or not? Is it simply checking, as you mentioned, that the ring gear should be free to move in one direction? I didn't think the idler would be a problem but it was mentioned in another thread so... I don't have any left over gears from reassembly so it should be okay. Yes sir, 35 years of inactivity can do some damage or, in my case, 62 years of activity...LOL.

Comment

Remove the stator cover and it's all there to see. You should have the starter motor going to an idler gear and then onto the starter clutch. Remove the idler gear and try to spin the starter clutch gear - it should spin clockwise but not anti-clockwise.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Got it...thanks, hillsy.

Comment

Looks like everything has been covered, but something I'd like to ad. I recently had the bolts back out of the starter clutch and shear off on my 1100E. After replacing them, the bike started fine for around ten times, then the clutch started slipping. Took the stator cover off and found out the rotor bolt had loosened and was spinning on the crank. The rotor is a press fit without a key way, if the bolt has loosened or wasn't tighten correctly , it's gonna spin.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

That good info, gsrick. I'll keep my eyes on those items when I get into it, maybe over the weekend. I'll update the thread when I make some findings. Thank you.

Comment

With a piece of 4x2 under the left side of the main stand you won't have to drain the oil.
                Steve has posted some pics of it. First time I did it scared the hell out of me, so much I had straps and chocks of all kinds going seven ways to Sunday just in case.
                97 R1100R
                Previous

Comment

Problem solved. It seems that the dummy who's doing the restoration and reassembling of the motor and bike put the idler gear in backwards. Oh yeah, the dummy is me. Sometimes I wonder about myself...Lord! Thanks again to all who responded here.

Comment

I'm lost here. How is the idler gear put in backwards ?
                    Your application for dummy club membership is acknowledged. As you can imagine there is a waiting list. I'll have a word with the membership secretary but don't hold your breath
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Let's see...the starter idle gear has two gears. The larger gear is nearest the starter motor and engages the starter motor. The smaller gear is toward the outside (for lack of a better description) and engages the starter clutch set. If you flip the idle gear around so the large gear is on the outside then the starter motor has nothing but thin air to engage...and makes a whirring sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        I'm lost here. How is the idler gear put in backwards ?
                        Your application for dummy club membership is acknowledged. As you can imagine there is a waiting list. I'll have a word with the membership secretary but don't hold your breath
                        That's funny stuff!

Just a glimpse at Ed Nessism's newbie mistakes thread and you'll see a bunch of applicants for that club. Oh, and please put in a good word with the secretary for me as well.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Think I'll be joining you in the line for the Dummy club
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous

Comment

HAHAHA...It seems to be a bigger club than I imagined...lots of good company...HAHAHA!

Comment

Just bought an ‘80 GS1100L with the TSCC engine two days ago. Took it out for a drive this afternoon and stopped at a gas station to get gas. Once I tried to start her back up, the starter just “whirs”. Sounds like it is similar to stuff posted here. I am not a mechanic, but that’s part of why I bought it...to learn. Hopefully I can find out what’s going on with the starter/solenoid/clutch and figure it out. Still...expert advice always accepted. (I’ll print out this thread for reference). Thanks!
                              Steedracer
                              Brentwood, TN

1980 GS1100LT......
                              1974 Yamaha DT360 Enduro
                              1975 Kawasaki KE125
                              1973 Kawasaki G4TR
                              1967 Honda Cub 50

Comment

Working...
                              X