'81 850GLX Gear Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 850GLX Gear Indicator

I read a lot of threads related to problems with the gear indicator. Seems like most had to do with the 750. None of the threads have my issue.

My bike is a total rebuild and almost back together. No gas and oil yet but it has electrical power now. When I walk through the gears, my indicator light constantly shows the incorrect gear. If it's in second for example, it may show 5 rather than 2 or if it's in first then it can show 4.

I know that I have to (re)clean the contacts and test the wiring, probably change out the old bulbs too. This may be a dumb question but I need to know with certainty: the issue is an electrical problem and not a transmission problem, right? The gears are there (as best I can tell with a bike that doesn't yet run). One down, N and four up.

Not likely a mechanical issue. The gear indicator switch is a circular contact with the gears in sequence. All the gear indicators go through one connector except the neutral switch. It goes through a separate wire and terminates in a bullet connector. I'd pull the switch and verify that it rotates correctly, one step at a time, for each gear shift. There is a spring loaded contact that provides the switch contact, so be careful when taking if off.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Checked it again this morning to confirm the bike has all 5 gears and neutral, sitting in the garage. The indicator light is consistently wrong - first gear lights a 4, second gear lights a 5, third gear lights a 1, so on with no neutral light.

Thanks for the info JTG. I wasn't exactly sure how the thing operated. Your info gives me something new to look at, besides just cleaning the contact points. I appreciate the info because I dread the thought of taking out the engine and splitting the cases for a third time in one year.

Comment

Originally posted by BadMonk View Post
        Checked it again this morning to confirm the bike has all 5 gears and neutral, sitting in the garage. The indicator light is consistently wrong - first gear lights a 4, second gear lights a 5, third gear lights a 1, so on with no neutral light.

Thanks for the info JTG. I wasn't exactly sure how the thing operated. Your info gives me something new to look at, besides just cleaning the contact points. I appreciate the info because I dread the thought of taking out the engine and splitting the cases for a third time in one year.
        Looks to me like the wires are simply going to the wrong indicator. They're going in sequence but are always 3 indications off. 1=4 and 2=5. What happens in gears 3, 4 and 5?

You mentioned that you now have a new harness. Is it a stock harness or one that's been custom made?

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The indicator light follows the same pattern thru 3, 4 and 5. More specifically, third gear lights a 1, fourth gear lights a 2, etc.

The harness is the original stock OEM harness that I carefully took apart to inspect and clean. It was in very good shape for sitting in a shed for the last thirty plus years. Other than repairing two wires and cleaning everything, it was put back together as in original condition.

I appreciate the help.

Comment

Was the indicator switch every removed or replaced? Original indicator lights? Not sure how but it's possible that the switch is clocked wrong.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I got the bike a little over a year ago after it sat in a shed without moving for 30+ years so anything is possible, I guess. But not probable because the wires look unmolested and the rest of the bike (that was there) was in stock form without mods. Yeah, it's got me scratching my head too...that's why I'm a bit anxious.

As I said, I split the cases twice. First to clean it out. After that, I realized the bike didn't shift into every gear. Little by little, I worked my way thru the shifting mechanisms until I split the cases again and found that the shifting forks weren't aligned correctly. Maybe they fell out of alignment when reassembling. Don't know but got it back together and the gears appear(ed) to be shifting up and down correctly. All the way down into first, up a notch to neutral, up to second then third then fourth...

Just check the white connector at the backbone. It looks solid and, of course, it only fits one way so I didn't louse that up, at least. I don't know...

Comment

I've now tested this well over a dozen times. The shifter is consistent - one down and four up, no problems, feels like I'd expect it to while sitting in the garage. The gear indicator light is also consistent (aka consistently wrong). The more I think about it, the more I doubt it's mechanical as has already been stated above. There must be some crossed wires between the switch and the panel. I'll have to take a good look tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Comment

As I recently removed my gear indicator switch I'm thinking it might be possible that yours has been fitted the wrong way round.

After removing the cover the wiring harness should pass from the left hand side. Might be worth checking and don't lose the pin.
                  The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

My gut says something is upside down at the switch.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                    X