No announcement yet.

Is this an original shunt type R/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a look here...skip test steps 1 and 2 because your r/r does not use a sense wire. Get yourself a simple diode and see how your meter responds to reversing a meter's test leads. Keep hunting for a used SH-775, as it is superior to any shunt unit

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

UPDATE:

So I fitted a Shindengen GS500 2004 RR and it seems to be holding charge fine. I haven't done a full resistance test on the leads as well as a voltage drop test but I can see from a test at the battery terminals running at:

Ignition off: 12.9
      Idle with lights: 13.2

Any revs above 4,000rpm, the voltage is at a ceiling of 14.1 and sometimes will drop to 13.7v. The RR does run very hot which I have read in previous threads this is normal. I am thinking of fitting a 8cmx8cm computer fan on the RR, or relocate it to the airbox if there is room. What do you think?

Thanks for all your helpful input. I am happy how the bike runs now and I don't have to worry about being stranded!
      Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Have a look here...skip test steps 1 and 2 because your r/r does not use a sense wire. Get yourself a simple diode and see how your meter responds to reversing a meter's test leads. Keep hunting for a used SH-775, as it is superior to any shunt unit

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A22
        Thanks Tom, this helped a lot and cleared my confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
          It really doesn't matter. A shunt R/R of any type is going to cause you problems. They are all archaic in the way they work. If you are trying to solve your electrical problems a Series R/R is what you need to be looking at. Shindengen made hundreds of thousands of shunt R/R's. They were better than most but the manufacturers were looking for cheap components, not something that would age well with the electrical system over time.
          gee, that doesn't say much for Suzuki does it? Maybe I better sell mine and buy a Triumph or a Harley.

They are all archaic in the way they work
          not sure exactly what you mean but opening and closing a coil as regulation is pretty old too .

Comment

Working...
          X