No announcement yet.

Intermittent starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have tried a multimeter just across the battery, as I had thought it may just be an issue with the battery. Battery was reading 12.1 without lights and 11.8 with them on. Charged battery after this and it still didn't remedy the issue. Given that the cable from the starter switch travels down the same line as the cable for the ligbts, I'm tempted tis trip back the cover and see if there is something touching. At least then I will know that I have ruled out any issues in the handlebar controls.

Comment

Originally posted by suziscrambler View Post
      I suspect it could be a dirty connection in the switch housing? Every time I open it up and do a half job in blowing crud off and reassemble, it would start again no issues. Or should I get rewire the whole wiring to switch housing?
      Maybe you should try doing a FULL job of blowing crud off? Clean, then apply dielectric grease to protect.

Any chance you have tried what I suggested in post #12? Connect jumper cables to a NON-RUNNING car,

Originally posted by mickmie View Post
      ... I had thought it may just be an issue with the battery. Battery was reading 12.1 without lights and 11.8 with them on. Charged battery after this and it still didn't remedy the issue. ...
      What was the battery voltage after the charge? 12.1 volts without lights and 11.8 volts with lights are good indicators of a failing battery.

Is there any chance you have tried what was suggested in post #12? Use jumper cables to connect your bike to a NON-RUNNING car. This will at least determine if the problem is in the battery. If you still have problems, ditch the jumper cables and continue the search.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Have tried on a few occasions with my car battery, it doesn't make any difference. Gonna buy a new starter solenoid in the hope that that fixes the issue.

Comment

new starter solenoid make no difference, however the bike will start if I bridge the solenoid. Have took handlebar switch off again and have checked for continuity, so switch is definitely fine. should have also mentioned i get power on red side of solenoid and nothing on the other side.

Comment

Have not seen a "red side" of a solenoid before. Of the two large wires, one will connect directly to the battery, the other goes directly to the starter. Make sure the connections at both ends of both wires are clean and tight.

Assuming the "red side" is the battery side, the other terminal will only be live while pushing on the starter button and pulling the clutch lever, if you still have that "safety" switch enabled.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

sorry the red cover goes to the battery the black to the starter motor, im going buy the rubber cover thats over the connection. also tried the car battery again just to give me peace of mind.

Comment

I suspect there is also a connection to both the sidestand & the neutral switch on that bike too... either of those could be creating these symptoms.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Neutral switch is working, afaik, the side stand switch needs testing, but that's a job for tomorrow night

Comment

Who wants to guess what it was??

Comment

Originally posted by mickmie View Post
                      Who wants to guess what it was??
                      Didn't turn the key on?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                        Didn't turn the key on?
                        Even I'm not that dumb

Comment

One of the cables that runs from the clutch switch had broken inside the covering, I had bypassed it at the handlebar end and not at the loom.

Comment

I had difficulties starting my bike for 2 years. Rewound the stator, replaced R/R with polaris, cleaned connectors all over the bike, new plugs, wires, valve adjustment, airbox sealing, rebuilt carb with o-ring kit and still problems. Then one day it wouldn't even turn over.

Put it in on centerstand, in gear and moved the rear wheel a bit, then I got a small crank from the starter. Replaced the starter and I have been having no problems since. Might have been able to service the starter and replace brushes, but I just replaced the starter outright.

Unsurprisingly (in hind sight), the new starter cranked much faster and sounded all together different.

Comment

Working...
                            X