Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bike, new member, new PROBLEM!

Hello all!
    I'm new to the GS world as I just bought my first bike last night! A GS650E (with Canadian electronics...?).

I've owned and worked on a Honda GL500 with LOTS of help from the GL/CX forum, so I know how helpful these forums can be.

I won't go into too much detail about the bike, since I don't think this is the right section to post it in, but I can't resist saying I ended up getting this bike for $250!! The guy was older and just bought a dual sport, so he just wanted to get rid of this one. It needs some work, but the PO I bought it from had many other ATVs/motorcycles and a motorcycle lift, worked at a Mercedes dealership, and knew what he was talking about, so I trust he didn't do anything insanely stupid with this bike.

SO, on to the major problem with the bike => Cylinders 1 and 4 are not firing properly, or maybe at all. He described the problem like so...He would commute about 30 miles to work fine. On the way home at about mile 10 he lost power, could only get up to about 30mph, but it only lasted about a minute and then the bike came out of it. The next day it did the same thing at about mile 10, but it lasted a little longer. The next day it did it again at mile 10, and it never came out of it. When he pulled over he checked the pipes and 1 and 4 were cold.

Immediately I thought...COIL! But the PO had replaced the stator with the Mosfet (he must've read the Stator papers!) and the Shindengen reg/rec (I haven't fully checked to see if it's authentic). He told me about the headlight loop and the electrical problems before I read about it in more depth on here. He also replaced the original coils with the Dyantek coil and ignition system. He's put about 8,000 miles on the bike since those upgrades.

When he had the problem with cyl. 1 and 4 he swapped out the coil with the original and it didn't help (BUT the original coil could have been bad too?). He was stuck, and it was becoming winter so he let it sit in his garage since Nov. 2017.

Now I'm asking for help. I thought it HAS to be something with the coil since it's cyl 1 & 4, but I don't know enough about the bike or electronics in general to know if there is something else that could be affecting those 2 cylinders. Could it be the CDI or something? Any thoughts on how I can test the coils?

Thanks!

GS650E2.jpg

Welcome! Sounds like the dyna ignition (or its connections to coils) is the problem. I assume this is the dyna ignition mounted on right side of crankcase behind a small cover. Ignition coils are very durable, but ohm test them on primary and secondary to be sure.
    Hopefully, the PO doused (and ran in)some fuel stabilizer last november, or more fun awaits with carb cleaning chores.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, it's the ignition system that replaces the points. I will crack into that and check it out. The nice thing is he kept all of the OEM parts so maybe I'll pop the original back in and try it.

He did add fuel stabilizer! Thank my lucky stars!
      I just did the 2 carbs on my GL and man, what a chore to do them right... hopefully I won't have to do these 4!

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Welcome! Tons of info here and some purdy smaht fellas.. Listen to what they say, and do what they say, you will be on the road quicker... trust me. You stole that bike for $250... nice... now the money you saved put back int the bike.

-Mark
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic
        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

If it isn't the coil, try setting the petcock to PRI (if is has that), my cheap petcock wasn't delivering enough fuel in ON position, and I lost power after 10-15 of riding. Setting to PRI fixed the lost power. My assumption was cyl 1 and 4 are furthest away from fuel hose on my GS1000, so 2&3 hogged the available fuel.

Comment

I tried setting the petcock to PRI last night...same issue occurred and the carbs started overflowing as well!! I'm thinking this has to be an issue with the ignition system. I'm going to try to take it apart and diagnose it at some point, but I won't be able to for a little while. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Get the bike running and wiggle the plug to the Dyna unit and check out the coil supply plugs.
              Sounds like the float valves have dirt trapped in them. You could open the bowl drain screws on prime and let it run for a bit hoping they will get flushed clean.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

If you have carbs overflowing at any stage, you have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                X