Charging System question/confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    This issue has come up in the past where people think their charging system is sorta working but they get the leg to ground readings (more than 10 VAC).
    Given the high reliability of the leg to ground test in diagnosing problems and my own analysis of how having an isolated stator in any way bleeding voltage to the ground being anything but bad, I would tend to discount those situations where someone thinks everything is A-OK with VAC measurements leg to ground.
    Any ideas on what could be causing the leakage.. before it was thought that it was a fried stator (tried that)... perhaps it could be the hardware used to hold the stator in place? I did snap one of the three screws and had to use a different one . Doesnt seem likely though
    I also did notice there wasn't oil in the stator pan when i removed it. Oil is an insulator. Oil level in crank case was between the L and F.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I recently installed new Electrosport stators in two of our three bikes. I did not check my son's 1000 after the install, but the voltmeter looked better, so I presumed all was well. With my bike, the voltage ended up looking OK, but took more RPM to get it there. I checked output, it's ~75v leg-to-leg, but it also has ~37-38v leg-to-ground on all three legs. We just finished a week-long trip with no electrical problems, so 37v leg-to-ground might be acceptable?

I re-did the tests and got basically exactly as you did, tested at 5000rpmL
      Leg to ground (OL) and Leg to Leg (91 ohms) resistance all tested well
      Leg to Ground Voltages 38V on all three, stabbed into engine block
      Leg to Leg was 75V on all three
      I cant think of anything else to try to get Leg to ground voltage to 0V, brand new stator...

Comment

Originally posted by ehkmcveh View Post
        I re-did the tests and got basically exactly as you did, tested at 5000rpmL
        Leg to ground (OL) and Leg to Leg (91 ohms) resistance all tested well
        Leg to Ground Voltages 38V on all three, stabbed into engine block
        Leg to Leg was 75V on all three
        I cant think of anything else to try to get Leg to ground voltage to 0V, brand new stator...
        it is possible it is the difference between Wye and delta windings where the wye virtual neutral is grounded. Look up 3 phase power for the two different configurations.
        the problem with that theory is that there is a dc block(ohm meter test) but at ac current is flowing. They would have to have some type of capacitive coupling to ground.
        Last edited by posplayr; 09-09-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Quick Tesst
          1. 13.1V
          2. 12.157V
          3. 12.6V @1100rpm
          4. 14.3V @2500rpm
          5. 14.438V @ 5000rpm
          6. Didnt do, oops
          Re-visited each connection and cleaned with Scotch bright pad. Much better results

Comment

Originally posted by ehkmcveh View Post
            Quick Tesst
            1. 13.1V
            2. 12.157V
            3. 12.6V @1100rpm
            4. 14.3V @2500rpm
            5. 14.438V @ 5000rpm
            6. Didnt do, oops
            Re-visited each connection and cleaned with Scotch bright pad. Much better results
            Looks excellent. If you spray with DeOxit then those connections will last longer. It is microscopic corrosion that starts to lower the output voltages. Deoxit crates a protective layer. After that dielectric grease will be an overall protection.

Comment

Working...
            X