Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 85 GS450 runs good ... but lousy idle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
    The intake boots were nice and supple and I replaced the 40mm O-ring to the engine side with the hi-temp good quality rubber. Stock air box and filter looked fine and sealed lid on. Bike is running good but doesn't like over 6,000 rpms on gear shifts and I don't even try to get to redline on the tach. Tried a few times several months ago. If the engine revved easily from 7 to 9,000 rpms ... I would say it is running great!
    Your bike has serious problems. It should pull to redline with ease. Not sure what to even suggest other than going through the Newbie Mistakes thread and making sure all the maintenance is up to date. If the bike is stock it's much easier to diagnose running, particularly carb, problems.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I am a bit confused, please help me make up my mind.
      Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
      Bike is running good but doesn't like over 6,000 rpms ...
      If it doesn't like over 6,000 RPM, it's not running "good".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I guess I should try to rev this engine up higher next time I ride. Since I mostly just ride the 450 around town at 30 to 40 mph, I have been satisfied with low end smooth power. Previously, on hard accelerations .... the engine pulled pretty good but seemed to starve for fuel past 6,000 - 7,000 and power dropped off. Would like the extra untapped power IF not too problematic to get it.

My attitude has been ..... if I want more acceleration, I just jump on my other bike.
        Dennco2
        1985 GS450
        Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

Do you have a fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs? I have nothing but bad luck with fuel starvation at freeways speeds or high rpms when there is a filter on the line. Could also be a plugged gas cap, that's easy, just remove cap, take her for 1 - 3 gear blast and see if it runs different.
          1981 Suzuki GS250T
          1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
          1985 Suzuki GS550E
          2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
            Do you have a fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs? I have nothing but bad luck with fuel starvation at freeways speeds or high rpms when there is a filter on the line. Could also be a plugged gas cap, that's easy, just remove cap, take her for 1 - 3 gear blast and see if it runs different.

You guys have lots of good ideas. The only filter I am running is the petcock filter in the tank.

Okay, I took the 450 out this evening and got somewhat aggressive with it. It pulled thru the first 3 gears fairly strong and I shifted at 7,000 each time .... then had to shut down for fear of getting the attention of an LEO. I must say, I don't remember it pulling through the gears so strongly. I could have tried to wring 9,000 out of it but was too intimidated. It felt strong at 7,000 with no tendency to fade .... as in many months before. I have done a LOT of work on this vintage bike an possibly not all was attended to with those rpm runs? A few days ago I tried to get rpms .... but that is when I was low on fuel and need to hit the reserve lever.
            Dennco2
            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

My GS450 is now running the best since I have owned it. I keep having to adjust the 2-carb idle adjuster to keep it at 1,300 rpms. Have owned it 2 years now but the 1st year was a nightmare with all the work needed. Now I just tap the starter button .... and it starts during the summer months. Yes, it will rev to 9K + but I can't help but think I am beating the poor bike to death ... and usually just baby it to 6,000 on gear shifts.

The GS resources states that I am no longer a Forum Apprentice .... but a Forum Mentor now. Don't feel qualified to offer advice to others except with basic stuff I have had to deal with.
              Dennco2
              1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X