Gs550 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs550 1979

Hey everyone having a lot of trouble with my bike. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Am having major issues starting it up even with easy start it will hardly start at all. I have changed the coils change the condenser and points I have spark and compression and still no luck at all am nearly about to give up the bike is very rough before I start spending more n the cosmetics just happening someone can shed some light. Does anyone think it could be a carb issue.

Need more info, but one thing to remember is not to touch the throttle when starting, or the engine will flood. If the bike is cold, just use the choke and adjust the idle speed until you can add some throttle without stalling. This time of year, it should take less than a minute.

However, if the bike is "rough," the thing to do is to disassemble the carbs, check all the passages, float level and needle valves, and replace the o-rings in the carbs and in the intake boots (cycleorings.com). VM carbs are pretty easy to deal with. Costs less than $30, and you'll definitely see an improvement.

Comment

I'll add to check valve clearances. If they're too tight, it can lead to hard starting.

I've never used it, but most on this forum recommend NEVER using easy start or similar band aids.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Brilliant I thought this aswell but it’s always better to hear from someone else I shall check them tomorrow hopefully weather is better thank you I lay off the easy start thanks

Comment

Thank you for replying I shall go through the carbs again and some intake boots they are a must I think. More info oh the battery is not old aswell had it from new two months ago so don’t think it’s the battery am very new to this aswell and have only worked on 125cc suzuki marauder. Carbs confuse me a bit thanks again

Comment

More info for everyone I have got all the light to work aswell except headlight follwered the wiring earth point all good starter moter works but had a accident with the starter button this afternoon so that does not work at the moment so using screwdriver on solonoid until I sort it out. Had a battle with a screw on the switch gear thing. Petrol is fresh. Am using a bottle for a tank at the moment as the tank is being cleaned pistons are free

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
              Need more info, but one thing to remember is not to touch the throttle when starting, or the engine will flood.
              I really hate to disagree, but this is flat-out WRONG.

The engine will not "flood", it STARVES. The "choke" is not a flap that covers the intake of the carb like on older automobiles. What we have for a "choke" is actually an ENRICHMENT CIRCUIT. It is a separate circuit that opens up when you move the lever or pull the knob, whichever system of activation you have on your bike. It moves a plunger to open a port to allow air, and also uncovers a port to allow fuel. Together, they provide a richer mixture for the engine to start. It also relies on the high vacuum of a CLOSED throttle to do this, so opening the throttle at all will defeat the operation and force the engine to try to start on the leaner jets that work so well when the engine is warmed up. Oh, it also does nothing to twist the throttle a couple of times to "pump" it when starting. There are no accelerator pumps, so "pumping" the throttle only excersizes your wrist.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X