Testing electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing electronics

Do I need to have the engine installed to test the electric system? I'm rewiring and want to be sure everything is working and routed before I replace the engine.

Outside of checking battery voltage and whether or not your lights, signals, and horn work, I'm not sure what you hope to check. As far as I know, no part of the charging system can be checked unless the bike is running. You could ohm check the stator but I think most believe that's not a useful test anyway. Of course I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'm just looking to test lights, signal's, and horn, baby steps.

Comment

Originally posted by VABushPig View Post
        I'm just looking to test lights, signal's, and horn, baby steps.
        Don't see why not, hook up a battery, jump box etc and give it a try. Can't think of a way you'll harm anything.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Engine doesn't really draw anything from the electrical system when it's not running. coil load, but I think that's static while engine is not running?
          sigpic
          Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Just be very careful of disconnected wires shorting to ground. Like the starter wire, etc. If spark plug wires are just hanging they may arc when you switch the ignition off.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
            X