Bike about died in rain......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bccap View Post
    I'd trim back the wires maybe a half inch ................
    Did that in June when replaced plugs (when was having an other problem). Well, I cut off about 1/4-3/8th to where was more "wire" material.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

How’s the ignition cover gasket?
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Dies in rain

Tom R, your probably on the mark. My then new 74 GT 750 would die when the weather changed instantly from sunny and clear to a hot humid thunderstorm. This was in South Carolina where thunderstorms are daily. I would stop and remove the points(yes) cover and spray everything with WD40. Put the cover back on,fired right up and rode home. I temped it for awhile with a packet of desiccant that would at least get me home.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
          Hum..... ponder.... ponder..... sounds like a valid concern..... ponder.... ponder.....

To answer your question: Seems to be be the original paper gasket. Thin, dry, paper gasket. It all stays on the cover when remove the cover (which had done in prior week for valve shim adjust.) So have never replaced it. Always had thought that the gasket served no real purpose since no oil in there. Duh- didnt think of keeping rain OUT. Doah.

Maybe should put a little bit of grease for a water seal on the paper gasket, and maybe on the bolt heads ..... I dont know.
          Maybe I can inspect that gasket, with more critical look along the outer edge where the cover meets the engine.
          Ah, Maybe order a new gasket.

Ponder.... Ponder.... with my lack of expereince ..... ponder... ponder.... with my limited understanding (but lots of troubleshooting other stuff experience) ...
          Seems like anything in there would effect ALL the ignition, like completly dead. I understand the pickup is two wires, and a positive pulse on both wires triggers one coil and a negitive pulse on those same two wires triggers the other coil. So, makes me think any problem with those wires would effect both coils so would have NO ignition.
          At least that is my guess. Butt I suppose maybe something that degrades any signal on those wires could make the ignition weak and erratic.

When it was running bad, barley running, barley above idle, it was a fairly constant bumble-stumble-bumble-stumble-bumble-stumble, then in an instant whaaaaaaa 4&5 thousand rpm, let of the throttle and settled down to normal idle.

Last edited by Redman; 08-24-2018, 08:24 PM. Reason: didnt think of keeping rain OUT. Doah.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I cut that gasket out of a corn flake box. Doesn't seem to cause problems when it rains.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              I cut that gasket out of a corn flake box. Doesn't seem to cause problems when it rains.
              Kellogg or store brand?
              Sugar Frosted or plain?
              Printed side to cover or to engine?

har har Joking.

So what you are saying is that the material is not too critical for this application.
              I think a cereal box is thicker materiel, and more absorbent, more compressible, than the original paper gasket.
              Last edited by Redman; 08-24-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

No joke.
                Not all cardboards are created equally.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Probably from the strawberry awake cereal at wall Mart. I eat lots of that. The gasket I removed was flimsy, torn and reused so many times I couldn't see the harm in swapping with some thick card stock which is basically what the cereal box material is.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Brendan W nailed a quick fix and nobody commented on it?

WD-40 sprayed on the wires will get rid of the water. I spray the wires
                    before heading to the car wash. I carry a can in the saddlebag for emergency use.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Brendan W nailed a quick fix and nobody commented on it?

WD-40 sprayed on the wires will get rid of the water. .....
                      The spark plug wires....? the igniter wiring....?

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Spark plug cables. High voltage is hard to contain.
                        Dielectric grease inside the caps before you push them down onto the plugs, keeps high voltage contained inside the caps.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                          Pondered that some more.
                          I more suspect something with the plug wires and/or cap boots.
                          But thought I could easy take a look at the ignition cover gasket.

Oh, yah, that needs some attention. All dried out, smusched into nothing, deformed, outta-place.
                          Lets see, got some Honey-Bunch-Oats cereal, but maybe I can bring myself to order a new gasket. Well, let me check the price first.

>>>later note.
                          Ah, $5 from Z1, I think I can handle that, along with a set of plug caps (mostly for the new boots) $4 each.

Gasket - Points Cover - GS750 - GS850 - GS1000 - GS1100
                          $4.93

Part # 11491-45000

Last edited by Redman; 08-25-2018, 04:23 PM. Reason: >>>>>later note.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            The ignitor wiring is low-voltage and somewhat protected. The spark plug wires are high-voltage and exposed to the elements.

Because they are exposed to the elements, the plug wires do tend to 'wear out'. I just give them a quick spray for insurance.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Because they are exposed to the elements, the plug wires do tend to 'wear out'. .....
                              Yah, that is my leading suspect (no pun intended).

Thanks, for your analysis and comment.
                              Now, you not let me interrupt you getting the wife's 850 back on the road and resuming your little trip, abbreviated as it may be.
                              Last edited by Redman; 08-25-2018, 04:31 PM. Reason: you not let me interrupt you

Comment

Wow, Redman...good thread you got goin' on. So, basically you need to water proof your bike. I remember power washing my engine in NM and no problems with restart. I guess my "T" was sealed up pretty good.

Ed
                                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X