Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressing start button does nothing

Hey all,

I'm new here so i hope this is ok to post. Seemed like the right forum.

Im looking to purchase a 1983 GS450L (I think its an L). I went to the owners house last night to see it and we couldn't get it to turn over, let alone start. Pressing the starter button does nothing. When turning on the ignition all lights and horn work. I took apart the handlebar control (very limited tools at his place) and it seems pretty clean in there. The spring that pushes out the start button seemed weak and compressed. On any other bike i've owned the start button seems to compress about a quarter inch and then return to its original position. The one on this bike seems to do nothing.

Any thoughts? Below is the bike im looking to get. Got him down to $500 ($385 USD) I hope it's ok to post links. If not please let me know and i will remove it.

Hoping to turn this in to a cafe racer over the winter.

Side note... yes i pulled in the clutch to start.

Bike has been pretty much sitting indoors for 10 years. He said it started in June using the button.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Might be stating the obvious, but it's not unheard of for someone to be caught out by the kill switch. Then once panic and desperation kicks in rational thinking ends, before you know it the bike is in bits, but the only issue was the kill switch had been flicked and no one thought to check!

I'm in the UK and that works out at under £300, which is a great price already. I'd take the bike and then worry about the issues, if you get it running in front of the seller he might decide he wants more, knock off another $50 say you're willing to take it as a non-runner and take your chances.

I'm sure there's too many potential reasons to diagnose non-starting without more info, but as you say you looked at the push switch. While you were there you could have simply bridged the wires to the switch to mimic the button pressed. But once you've got it just start the process of elimination.

Comment

Does 1983 Have a kickstand kill switch? Check the main fuse? (assuming a good battery or power source of course)...
        That said, have seen several starter buttons fail from dirt, corrosion, moth eggs, advanced age & intimate contact with pavement...

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
          Might be stating the obvious, but it's not unheard of for someone to be caught out by the kill switch. Then once panic and desperation kicks in rational thinking ends, before you know it the bike is in bits, but the only issue was the kill switch had been flicked and no one thought to check!
          Yup, the kill switch was in the correct position.

Comment

Originally posted by scratch View Post
            Does 1983 Have a kickstand kill switch? Check the main fuse? (assuming a good battery or power source of course)...
            NONE of the GS-series bikes have a kickstand kill switch. Starting with some '82 models, they had a light on the instrument panel, but it never affected whether the bike would start and/or run.

If the main fuse was blown, he would not have had lights and horn, as mentioned.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              NONE of the GS-series bikes have a kickstand kill switch. Starting with some '82 models, they had a light on the instrument panel, but it never affected whether the bike would start and/or run.

If the main fuse was blown, he would not have had lights and horn, as mentioned.

I'm guessing there isn't a clutch safety switch either? I had a 90s Kawasaki that could only be started if the clutch lever was pulled in. However the wiring was a bit iffy so I had to have the steering on full left lock also. Caught me out on numerous occasions.

Comment

Did you pull in the clutch lever? All my GS'es have have clutch switches.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                  Did you pull in the clutch lever? All my GS'es have have clutch switches.
                  Yes i did.

Comment

+1 to eddypeck's post...or just apply + to where the Green/Yellow is soldered to the solenoid...

there's very little difference in the 83 L or T -both had stepped seat but the T slightly ramped . Both look to have identical sidecovers unlike earlier years and I guess yours is a T . it's Too bad if you cut it up and make it a bike you can't sit on for more than 20 minutes(sigh) looks like a good example if the chrome is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      +1 to eddypeck's post...or just apply + to where the Green/Yellow is soldered to the solenoid...

there's very little difference in the 83 L or T -both had stepped seat but the T slightly ramped . Both look to have identical sidecovers unlike earlier years and I guess yours is a T . it's Too bad if you cut it up and make it a bike you can't sit on for more than 20 minutes(sigh) looks like a good example if the chrome is good.
                      https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs450tx.../BLCK0036.html
                      Thanks for the info! I respect your opinion, but at least its not going to the crusher.

Comment

After going thru my 450t last winter I ran across the same issue, turned out I had the ground wire on one of the airbox mount screws instead of the top screw that holds down the regulator. Once I figured that out, the starter worked as it should.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
                          I'm guessing there isn't a clutch safety switch either?
                          Yes, they had a "safety" switch in the clutch, but most of us have bypassed that silly feature.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The '83 GS450 very well may have the clutch switch. It would be the "Starter Disconnect Switch" here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2370B...211030&o=OneUp.

Could be a loose connection in the headlight bucket - The kill switch wires along with the starter button wire (3 wires) go into a green connector that could have come loose and would cause that behavior.

Without poking around too much into the wiring, you can short the terminals on the starter solenoid or bump start it. The GS450 isn't that hard to push
                            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                            1977 GS550
                            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I decided to take the gamble and get the bike. I'm waiting for his Lawyer son to get back from vacation with the registration. Should have it by the end of the month.

This is my first fixer bike so i'm sure i will have a lot of questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X