82 wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 wiring

so i have an 82 suzuki gs650, need tyo do a wiring overhaul, i could only find a complete wiring harness for an 81, and now im realizing that there are a few dirrerences,i cant seem to find seperate diagrams for each year, that match what im actually looking at, should i just redo the 82 and hope for the best

i guess the main difference is on my 82 it has two seperate plugs in one spot, and a singular plug on the 81

Comment

The plug for the left hand switch (signals,hi/low) was different if I recall correctly,cuz the 82 lost the headlight on/off.
      Why did you have to get replacement harness?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The '81 650 did not have an operable headlight switch, either, but <might> have still had the same harness as the non-US bikes that did have the switch.

The only other difference that I know of with the '82 was the addition of the sidestand warning light switch.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hobolord View Post
          i guess the main difference is on my 82 it has two seperate plugs in one spot, and a singular plug on the 81
          Wire colors on the 82 "two seperate plugs"....?

Wire colors on the 81 "single plug"....?

THen we can look on schematic and help you out some.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Oh.... wait..... I see you are new to GSR.

Welcome to GSR.

But we need you to introduce yourself and post a picture of the bike.
            Yah, we need to know if your 650 is the black one or the red one before we can give any technical advise.
            (joking)

Oh, and, no joking, tell us if 650G or GL or E.

I had 650G for 20+ years. (Sometimes wonder where it went.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

its a 650 g (shaft driven) and im replaceing the harness because someone cut and and sliced so many things it was hard to make heads or tails, but i guess the difference from 81 and 82 was the handlebar control wiring, the 81 has a singular plug and my 82 had two seperate plugs (which one goes to the left the other the right)

im working on getting some photos uploaded bear with me.

Comment

"The '81 650 did not have an operable headlight switch, either"

Both genuine 81 650's that I have seen up close had the on/off headlight switch (with the stator loop). I drove around my first summer with my headlight "off",not knowing the law had changed - it had been a long time from bike stuff.

Somewhere I think I have a spare left control with the two plug setup.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

there's some differences in the handlebar controls 81-82. I bet. The 82 has a 4 way combined turn-signal and Hi/LO beam switch... maybe a fuel gauge added ? Suzuki did this so customers could tell they were buying a new one wish they hadn't but even Volkswagen did this every year with the bug I bet...
                  I have an 82 so I think I know what you mean per discrepancies.
                  The differences in harnesses aren't insurmountable...judging by the wiring diagrams I have here anyways but obviously you\ll have to do some changes . It can be fiddly doing this so it won't look as hacked as the one you may have now.

May be you should practise on your old harness if you are in a hurry.
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-29-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

...for instance, practise getting the leads OUT of the socket connectors on the old 82 harness because you will want to push wires from the 81 replacement harness into those 82 sockets... and where the connection "devices" don't match you'll have to crimp on the right one. but the colour code didn't change so that's a big help!

Comment

Well after lots of diagrams and what not. I think the 81 harness went to a kick start bike. Where my 82 has an electronic start. I don't have anywhere for the Killswitch and the start button to wire in. So gotta do that manually

Comment

20181010_033127.jpg these are what I have left to find homes for

Comment

I think the 81 harness went to a kick start bike. Where my 82 has an electronic start.
                          If that '81 bike had a kick starter, it was NOT a Suzuki GS. There were no kick-started GSes after the '79 model year.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56479[/ATTACH] these are what I have left to find homes for
                            That connector housing looks unhealthy. Possibly corroded to a high resistance, ergo develops heat under load, ergo....fire'n'stuff. Maybe it's the camera angle, can you provide a better picture of the connector?
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

You might have got the wrong harness....I must have sent you this Basscliff diagram before .. It loads slowly till it clears, so be patient

OneDrive photos, enjoy, share & organize your photos
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X