X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help - 81 gs450L

alright - heres the deal
    81 gs450l
    previous owner was clearly in the wiring harness - there are multiple small knicks in the wires and i've gone through and cleaned up all the ones that i can find. he replaced the main headlight with some LED bs from amazon anyways i took that stuff off. there is no brake light/blinkers/or headlight. the ignition switch was replaced with what i assume is just a generic temporary push button purchased from autozone or wherever. Heres my issue.
    AS of yesterday i was capable of starting the bike by simply pushing the ignition switch. I walk out today and the bike shows no sign of life. Literally nothing was changed in the meantime so im wondering what could have went wrong overnight without me touching it.
    Is it possible the ignition switch itself went bad? it looks fairly new but maybe its not rated at the right amp and it blew yesterday?
    Im wondering if its just the ignition switch because when i use my screwdriver and jump the starter relay the bike turns over fine. can i assume it has something to do with the ignition switch if this is the case?
    process of elimination right?
    what do you guys think?
    also i can not for the life of me find a main fuse anywhere - is it possible the p/o did something and took out the main fuse?
    im really thinking about just buying an all new wiring harness.
    give me the opportunity to just start fresh with this wiring debacle.
    thoughts?

There's the ignition button, the kill switch and clutch lever safety switch that all need to work in order to get the bike to start. Could be any one or more of the three causing the issue along with the starter relay itself. The best advice I can give is to get a clear copy of the wiring diagram and a test light then start tracing the path from the battery all the way to the starter relay to see where the juice stops flowing. If you need to get a test light, spend the extra eight or nine bucks and get a basic multimeter, my cheapy one in my saddle bags was like $13 or so at Walmart. Electrics are not all that difficult to figure out once you get the hang of it so don't feel intimidated by it.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

^exactly so.. a clear circuit diagram is worth a thousand words...but specifically
      1st, The Kill switch MUST BE ON to turn the bike over

i can not for the life of me find a main fuse anywhere
      there's supposed to be ONE coming off the positive " side of the battery it was originally a glass fuse in a little holder with red wires attached.... It powers everything except the starter motor which has no fuse
      Im wondering if its just the ignition switch because when i use my screwdriver and jump the starter relay the bike turns over fine. can i assume it has something to do with the ignition switch if this is the case?
      shorting the starter relay bypasses all the switches LAB3 mentioned....

"ignition switch" You (and me too!) better start using terminology the manual uses. Ignition switch is the key switch per the wiring diagram, the "kill switch" is the "kill switch| The Kill switch MUST BE ON to turn the bike over

I THINK you mean "starter button". the starter button doesn't handle much power so it needn't be super duper but take it out of the circuit by shorting across it and see if your starter relay clicks and thereby the bike turns over...
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-29-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Yes, it IS the starter button, my mistake. I stand erected.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

no,no wasn't at you Lab3. I was close-reading Godspeeds top post and trying to be sure exactly what was meant. I mean, as an example when someone says CDI on these suzukis, I know what they mean but specifically, it changes any diagnosis quite a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X