Bike only starts cold, won't start again once it's run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike only starts cold, won't start again once it's run

The bike runs great once it's on. The problem is she only starts when the engine's cold, once I turn it off after it's been running i Just get a single click from the starter relay and nothing.

I tried bypassing the relay by jump starting directly to the starter, still doesn't work.

Is this an issue of a wire maybe getting too hot? Bad starter?

Thanks guys,
    Andrew

"I tried bypassing the relay by jump starting directly to the starter, still doesn't work."

might be be a bad starter motor- doesn't like getting toasty. Take starter motor cover off, go for ride (carry hammer) till bike warms up, then shut off. If no start, tap on starter motor and see if it responds .

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yup, starter's toast. Bought a new aftermarket as well as one of those throttlex 600CCA batteries. Also bought new wire from the starter relay to the starter motor. I'll check back in after I install

Comment

Where the heck did you find space to put a 600CCA battery?

Come to think of it, you are only asking about a "bike", you never did specify which one. Since this is a Suzuki GS forum, we usually assume it's one of them, but the only 600 CCA battery I could find is one that fits in my minivan. Throttlex only lists a 160CCA battery for anything related to a Suzuki GS.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hehe I'm going to do some playing around and fabbing to make it fit. Even then, no guarantee it'll fit

I was fed up to death with my little battery and would have gone for a LiOn but I heard some horror stories when LiOn is used on our old GS's

Comment

How little is your "little battery"?

Why are you "fed up to death" with it?

Most of the batteries for our bikes are in the 140-180 CCA range and they do quite well.

If your valves are properly-adjusted and your carbs are clean, it doesn't take much more than just a stern look at the starter button to get the bike running, so a standard battery has NO problem starting the bike.

If your bike has trouble starting, the battery might not be the only problem.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If your battery is also having problems staying charged than you'll want to perform Posplayer's quick tests to see if your stator and regulator/rectifier are working properly
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The old battery was a piece of junk. I cancelled the 600cca order and bought a 230cca throttlex that will fit just fine.

yesterday we replaced the starter motor and starter cable to the relay. Didn't have to take off anything but the came chain tensioner and oil pressure sensor thanks to my girlfriend's tiny hands. She took those bolts on and off and made me veal linguini for dinner... this one's a keeper!

Comment

...I should add, new starter cranks over every time now. So starter was one issue. However, the old battery was/is the other.. putting new one in tmrw and should be fine. If not, Il perform Posplayer's tests

Comment

It will be fine right away but that doesn't tell you what the charging system is like. Once you install it, run through his tests as it is just your basic stuff - what is the voltage at the battery with the key off, key on, while starting, at idle, at 4000 rpm, and with the key turned back off. Very simple and can be done within 5 minutes of putting your battery in.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                    X