Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator clarification

Hi all.

I don't have any stator issues at this time. That's because Dale rustybronco lent me one.

The confusion is because I need to replace his loaner.

I am looking at one from Electrosport' and the picture they provide confuses me.

My bike is an 1983 GS1100GK. It normally as a 12 poles-3 wires stator.

This is the picture they provide:

18 poles and 5 wires?????

So what is this?

a-wrong picture
    b-new and improved

Any comments is appreciated.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

go to RMStator in Montreal...great stuff

Comment

The rotor has 6 pairs of N/S magnets , so 12 magnetic poles...while the stator has 18 poles .
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your stator will have 18 poles and three wires. The only GS bikes with 12-pole stators had kick starters.

I got new Electrosport stators for my bikes before our "Little Ride" this summer, I was so UNimpressed that I only changed two of the three bikes. Carried the third one as a spare.

I am likely to replace my brand-new Electrosport stator with a new Caltric stator when I tear the bike down to change my base gasket.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I got new Electrosport stators for my bikes before our "Little Ride" this summer, I was so UNimpressed that I only changed two of the three bikes. Carried the third one as a spare.

I am likely to replace my brand-new Electrosport stator with a new Caltric stator when I tear the bike down to change my base gasket.

Why so unimpressed with Electrosport stators?
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
            Realize it depends on which ones you get; the 16v stators for 750cc and above seem of highest quality.

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
              Let's start with WHY I changed my stator in the first place.

We were headed out for a "Little Ride" this past summer, so I chose to be proactive and start with some new stuff. I ordered three new stators from Electrosport for my 850G, my wife's 850GL and my son's 1000G. No idea what (aftermarket) stator was in my son's bike, but its voltmeter definitely showed an improvement with the new stator.

My voltage was a bit "iffy" before changing the stator. By "iffy", I mean that it was not always consistent. Sometimes would run at 14+, other times it would barely do 13.5. I hoped the new one would fix that. The new stator was thinner, which required finding some shorter bolts to hold it in place. The voltage at idle is less. (Probably because of the thinner stator.) It takes longer to get to 14+ volts. With the old stator, it would usually hit 14 by 2000 RPM, now it takes about 3000 RPM.

My wife's bike takes a long time after starting before it finally gets to 14 volts. Once in a great while, it will go just a bit over, but usually runs 13.7-13.9. That is still charging the battery, just not to ultimate capacity. However, based on the lower numbers on my bike, I chose to leave hers alone and just carry the new Electrosport as a spare.

All three bikes have had the electrical systems gone through and cleaned up, they all have SH775 R/Rs and they all have the R/R wired directly to the stator. They also all have LED headlights, so even more current is available to charge the battery quicker after starting, so there is no reason to have low voltage.

Icing on the cake?
              The Caltric is about one-third the price of an Electrosport.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks all for your replies.

My bad memory was wrong.

My burned out old stators have indeed 18 poles.
                The original stator from the GK was thicker than the replacement ones I got for it later on. Though the voltage seemed similar. Less amps perhaps? Less total wattage available for sure.
                I can't run the heated grip on high and only on highways. Memory says I could before (Yes, the same bad memory. It's the only one I got).

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                The Caltric is about one-third the price of an Electrosport.

I am balking at the prices right now. Especially when converted to CDN dollars.
                I have rewound 2 so far for about $25CDN each. The quality as been going up and I expect will do so again.

I will look at "Caltric".
                Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Thanks Steve.
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

You're welcome.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X