Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS650-E vs '81 GS650E coil wiring difference - can someone clarify/explain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS650-E vs '81 GS650E coil wiring difference - can someone clarify/explain?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere but a) it's unrelated to the R/R and/or stator issue(s), and b) I attempted to search through the forums but haven't found the answer yet, so... on to the question

I have an '82 gs650e which I'm in the process of rebuilding, and as part of that I'm redoing the electrical. I have a factory service manual for the 650-E, *including* the addendum for the Z model ('82 year), and so there are two similar-but-slightly-different wiring diagrams. No prob so far...

The wiring of the ignition coils on the '81 diagram is what I would expect (see attached image): the two coils share a common +12v via the O/W line, and the other end of the coil input side (terminology?) of each of the two coils goes back to the ignitor, where the ignitor presumably grounds them in sequence to spark the respective (pair of) plugs. Both ends of the output side of each coil go directly to a plug, and nothing else.

What's confusing me is this: in the '82 diagram (see my follow-up post to this thread), instead of the output side of each coil going directly to the two plugs, and nothing else... the output of the coil on the left is shown electrically connected to the *input* side of the coil on the right... which makes no sense to me/I can't understand, both in terms of the circuit and also because physically on the bike, the output wires from the coil are connected to nothing but plugs, as you'd expect (???).

Help me believe I'm not crazy - please explain!
    Attached Files

Here's the 2nd diagram, ie: the '82 version where the output of coil 1 is shown connected to input of coil 2!

ps - to confuse matters even more, I found a different diagram (ie: online randomly, I forget where) for an **81** 650-E, which seems more or less correct/matches the factory ones pretty much, afaict, BUT... in this case, this non-factory-service-manual diagram shows the weird output-to-input coil connection I'm asking about, whereas in the factory service it's the '82 which is the version that has the weird connection!
    Attached Files

Comment

... and just for fun, here's that non-factory-service diagram, for an '81, that I was talking about...
      Attached Files

Comment

Your first picture is proper.

That's not the first error ever found in a wiring diagram.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve!!!

Comment

Working...
          X